Unanswered: How to patch a 2005 cluster?

According to SP1 documentation patching the Active node in a cluster will automatically apply the SP1 patch to the Passive nodes. However, I found a MS document that says if you have management tools installed on the passive node, you must patch this node separately. Is this correct?

Also, since Integration Services is not cluster-aware and therefore must be installed separately to the passive node(s), does SP1 need to be applied directly to the passive node(s) to patch Integration Services or is it automatically patched when I patch the Active node?

Thanks, Dave

Provided Answers: 11
    You can treat the client tools and Integration services the same way you would treat an OS patch. The SQL Server SP install is smart enough to see that the Database Engine has been patched, and will by default leave the Database Engine binaries out of the SP install. You can force a reinstall, but there would be no need.

1. Yes this is correct.

2. SP1 will update everything that is cluster aware. Since SSIS is not cluster aware, you will have to apply it twice, once to each node.

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Thanks. Is it necessary to failover to the passive node prior to applying the patch? I'm guesing it's not necessary, but haven't found any documentation indicating either yes or no.

Dave

Provided Answers: 11
    That would mainly depend on whether a reboot would be required. I think under Windows 2003, it usually is not, unless some of the files involved are in use. Then you would likely need to stop the SSIS service(s) before applying the SP.

Quote Originally Posted by tomh53
    2. SP1 will update everything that is cluster aware. Since SSIS is not cluster aware, you will have to apply it twice, once to each node.
    What if you have enabled SSIS for clustering per the MS KB article?

I'll need to check on my newly installed cluster at work tomorrow. I thought I checked the passive node and found that it was already updated to SP2.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?