Unanswered: What will happen if...

What would happen if I deleted all the contents of the tables like MSmerge_*.

In case it needs to be known, we have a merge-replication scenario with about 25 servers under SQL 2000 SP3.

Cheers,

Kias

You would shoot yourself in the foot! Those tables are used by merge replication.

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Even if all servers are synched up?

Provided Answers: 11
    I would expect you would need to reinitialize all of the Merge replications for that database. may i ask why this is even being considered?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos83
    Even if all servers are synched up?
    What part of "You would shoot yourself in the foot" did you not understand.

NO, NO, NO ... not even if you like green egs and ham

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Provided Answers: 6
    when i first read his post i could not help to notice the irony of his user name.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

if you do this, you might also want to think about deleting the entire contents of C:\WINDOWS and all the reg keys under HKLM.

May I ask - are we considering a hypothetical possibility or a non-hypothetical actuality?

Provided Answers: 54
    Note: This is a joke, it is not to be taken seriously

If you are trying to improve performance, I'd suggest a low level disk format... A freshly formatted disk is exactly "in tune" with your present system configuration, the inter-sector gaps are perfectly matched to your system's performance because they were actually written by your system.

This will significantly improve the performance of your system, along with the fact that you'll have to reload the operating system and all of your data files from backups so the layout of the files ought to be optimum too.

This will improve performance more than simply deleting the data.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Note: This is a joke, it is not to be taken seriously
    jokes aren't as funny when you prefix them with a "warning: this is a joke" comment.

Provided Answers: 10
    If you post-script it with said warning, they've already implemented the joke...

Which in itself is funny... Well, if you're twisted
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    jokes aren't as funny when you prefix them with a "warning: this is a joke" comment.
    That depends entirely on how you look at things... When taken in the right light, those comments can make the joke much more funny!

-PatP

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    That depends entirely on how you look at things... When taken in the right light, those comments can make the joke much more funny!

-PatP
    Yeah. Right. Hillarious. I hope this damn writer's strike ends soon....
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Okay, so I did a low-level disk format after I deleted C:\Windows\ and removed all the entries under HKLM in the registry. Thanks for the suggestions.

Realistically, the reason we're enquiring is because it takes about an hour for MSMerge_* to copy across to any new subscriptions from the publisher. It's a painfully slow process. Our thoughts were that if everything is synched up, then the contents of MSMerge_* could be cleared and started fresh. I guess that's not the case with all the sarcasm that was offered.

Regardless, thanks for letting us know what would happen if.