How to backup Sybase database

Hi everyone,

Who can tell me how to backup Sybase database?
    I want to backup a Sybase dayabase, but always get this error below:

Cannot open a connection to site 'SYB_BACK'. See the error log file in the SQL Server boot directory

How to the error log, and what should I do if I get this error?
    I tried to use bcksvr.exe to backup my database, seems that I input wrong syntax, could you please tell the right one?

Your help will be appreciated^_^

Thanks^_^
    Winnie

I tried to run RUN_backupServername, but get the following error:

Open Server Error: 16240.10.0: Net-Library routine sybnet_listen() failed in srv
    __start_net
    Network error: status = 23 - Net-Lib protocol driver call to register a listener
    failed
    Open Server Server Fatal Error: 16029.20.0: Failed to start any network listener
    s

You should check if your backupserver isn't trying to use an already used portnumber or such.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

Sorry, could you give me more info? how to check "backupserver isn't trying to use an already used portnumber or such."?

Thanks^_^
    Winnie

Quote Originally Posted by winniewang
    Sorry, could you give me more info? how to check "backupserver isn't trying to use an already used portnumber or such."?

Thanks^_^
    Winnie
    You can see in sql.ini what ipadress and portnumber your dataserver and backupserver are running. BS usually runs at portnumber 5001 I think. You can try to change that value in the sql.ini -file.

Also, there is a backup.log in the same folder as your error.log. Backup.log is the logfile for the backupserver. Look for errors or other reasons why it won't start.

Thanks for you reply^_^
    I can modify the BS portnumber to another one what i would like, and restart the BS service. backup again. If fail again, I can check the log info and find the reason according to the error log?

I'm out of work for a couple of day, so I have to check the step what I will do with you.

Thanks a lot^_^
    Seems that you are my helpdesk, and this is not the first time you help me. thank you^_^

Winnie
    Last edited by winniewang; 12-14-07 at 09:38.

Quote Originally Posted by winniewang
    Thanks for you reply^_^
    I can modify the BS portnumber to another one what i would like, and restart the BS service. backup again. If fail again, I can check the log info and find the reason according to the error log?

I'm out of work for a couple of day, so I have to check the step what I will do with you.

Thanks a lot^_^
    Seems that you are my helpdesk, and this is not the first time you help me. thank you^_^

Winnie
    Check the logfile first, if that gives you any directions as to whjere to look, proceed with that. A chnged portnumber is only one of the many, many things that can cause problems.

I'm glad I can help you. Everyone has to learn the basics of database-administration, right?
    If you intend to keep working in the database-administrationbusiness on Sybase, I'd suggest you take some courses with Sybase. That can teach you the basic stuff on how ASE works and how to administrate it.
    Save you time searching for information and waiting for answers .

Yeah, Thanks for your suggestion.This is the fist time I use Sybase, I juse need to setup a Sybase database as my datasource, so I have to ask some basic questions. Thanks a lot^_^

Winnie