Unanswered: Is it neccessary to restore system database for new server?

Hello, everyone:

I am going to remove a database server (SQL Server 2000 on Win 2003) to a brand new server, same as SQL Server 2000 on Win 2003. Do I need to restore system database(master, msdb, model and tempDB) to the new server? My understanding I don't have to because I will transfer DTSs and login user by DTS to new server, and run scripts to recreate jobs on new server. Is it correct?

Thanks

ZYT
    ZYT

Provided Answers: 6
    yes. this message is to short.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 11
    If you are already moving these things, then you will not need to restore the system databases.

Hi, MCrowley:

Thank you very much for the advice. Can I switch another question? When I check the existing database that will be move, the Startup service account in Security tab is grayed out. This is first time I got this kind of configuration. In my knowledge, Startup service account should be "System Account" or a specified account. What does it mean if it is grayed out?

Thanks

ZYT

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley
    If you are already moving these things, then you will not need to restore the system databases.
    ZYT

I am sorry. I try to do as much as I can via command line, and Query Analyzer. Where is this Security tab?

Right click SQL Server Name - Properties - Security

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley
    I am sorry. I try to do as much as I can via command line, and Query Analyzer. Where is this Security tab?
    ZYT

I will have to assume you mean Enterprise Manager.

What is the radio button to the left of the login information set to? If the login information is grayed out, it is likely set to System Account.

Do you mean the radio button for "This account"? It is grayed out. All "Startup service account" area is grayed out.

Quote Originally Posted by yitongzhang
    Right click SQL Server Name - Properties - Security
    ZYT