Unanswered: High heap consumption

Hi All,

ENV: Windows 2003 Standard Edition, DB2 v8.2 FP 7

Its our client's development enviornment. The application is a Websphere portal and the application engineer is complaining about high heap consumption. She says, she has done everything that can be done and there is nothing wrong with the application. I looked at the database and the parameters are pretty much set to the default. I am trying to understand what parameters can be looked at to improve the problem of high heap consumption at the application side?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Anks

If all the parms are set to the defaults, then you are not qualified to be a DB2 DBA. If you want to sign your payckeck over to me, I will do your job for you.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Well, this is the first time I logged on to this Db2 server ( and thats how i know its been set as default) and I am not the one who installed and set up the server infact the application engineer is the one who has been managing DB2 till now.

I am just trying to find out if there is anything in particular from the database point of view that can help the high heap consumption on the websphere side.

P.S. I have just started my career with Db2 sometime back and I believe this forum is created to help others.

Thanks

We are glad to help other people (I answered a few questions as you can see), but we cannot take a system with defaults and configure everything for you with just a general complaint about problems on a client (Websphere). If the DB2 settings are all set to the default, then change them to the appropriate settings. Check the db2diag.log to see if any errors have occured because of out of memory conditions that would affect Websphere.

If you are a DBA and you don't know what default DB2 settings should be changed, then I can't (or won't) help you because it just sounds like you do a complete evaluation of all the parameters. If you don't understand them, then learn, and don't just ask others to do your job for you.
    M. A. Feldman

I don't think you are qualified enough to judge who can or cannot be a DBA. Keep your comments to yourself and only reply if you have anything meaningful to say about the question I posted. Don't try to thread-crap this forum.

Provided Answers: 5
    Anks,
    You have asked a rather ambiguous question. It is very hard to give constructive assistance when the problem is not clear at all. You need to ask more specific questions. DB2 has numerous heaps. Asking a general question about heap consumption does not help us much. Which heap? What is the specific problem with the heap? Are there any error/warning messages?

We are are willing to help out, but you need to do some of the leg work first. Marcus has helped tons of others on this forum. He just wants you to some research up front before you ask a question.

Andy

I really appreciate your response. Okay I agree the question posted by me is ambiguous but I would have appreciated if it was mentioned to me in a more polite manner and not in an insulting manner. I am open to criticism which comes my way in a rather positive way.

The Heap mentioned in my original question is the problem from the application side and I did not know what it would translate to in DB2 parameter terminology. The heap consumtion on the Websphere side is more than 200% which is slowing down the portal. There are no error messages reported at the application side.

I have looked at db2diag.log and it does not show any sign of memory leaks. Since the parameters are set to default, I am going to increase these parameters: locklist, maxlocks, locktimeout, sortheap, dbheap, logbuffsz, appheapsz to start with. I also ran runstats (which was never done).

Thanks again.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by anksagr
    Since the parameters are set to default, I am going to increase these parameters: locklist, maxlocks, locktimeout, sortheap, dbheap, logbuffsz, appheapsz to start with.
    Any particular reason why you start with these parameters? Why not catalog cache? Or MAXAPPLS?

How did you calculate "heap consumption" of 200%? What value of "heap consumption" would you consider normal?
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Quote Originally Posted by anksagr
    I really appreciate your response. Okay I agree the question posted by me is ambiguous but I would have appreciated if it was mentioned to me in a more polite manner and not in an insulting manner. I am open to criticism which comes my way in a rather positive way.
    I did not mean to be insulting. But if I am going to do your job for you, I want your paycheck. Will you do my job without compensation?
    M. A. Feldman

Run the DB2 Configuration Advisor first. Review all suggestions made by that tool, understand what effect those changes would have and then apply the changes you think are correct and useful. (Given your lack of experience, just apply all suggestions.)
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A
    I did not mean to be insulting. But if I am going to do your job for you, I want your paycheck. Will you do my job without compensation?
    You did answer lots of questions in this forum. But I dont remember you asking for their paychecks !!!!

Common my friend , give that guy a break !!!!

I can very well understand Marcus.

Obviously, there wasn't the least bit of database tuning applied to the system. That implies that the OP didn't read anything in the manuals. And that means, in turn, that some homework should be done first before asking such questions.

There is a nice acronym: RTFM!
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Quote Originally Posted by koganti
    You did answer lots of questions in this forum. But I dont remember you asking for their paychecks !!!!

Common my friend , give that guy a break !!!!
    As Knut suggested, it appears that the poster doesn't know anything about DB2. Either the poster is not a DBA and is trying to get someone to do the DBA work for free, or the poster is a DBA (hopefully not a DB2 DBA) but is too lazy to read the DB2 manuals. I am happy to help anyone (as I have done a couple of thousand times) who makes a serious attempt to understand the issues and has some questions , but I am not inclined to do someone else's job for them.

My suspicion is that the poster is really an SA who thinks he can do the DB2 stuff without a DBA. I admittedly disagree with that philosophy, and I think his company needs to hire a DBA to do DBA tasks.
    M. A. Feldman