Unanswered: Import information file .DAT to MySQL

Hi I'm Wolfstein, and new in the forum.

I have a program that save the dates in files .DAT, and the same install a server of Pervasive, or a Runtime of Pervasive. The question is that I want import information of this files with MySQL, but I can't. Can I do?

Thank.

P.D.: Sorry, but my english is very poor. I'm Spanish.

Provided Answers: 4
    If the program that generates the files doesn't have an export function, you have a couple of options.

First, you can write (or have written) a tool that opens the DAT file and reads it then exports it to what ever format you want.
    Second, if you have DDFs you can use ODBC to export the data.

In either case, you will need to know the exact record structure for the file. That information is stored in the DDFs as well.

A few questions:
    - Do you have DDFs for the table(s) in question?
    - If you don't have DDFs, do you know the exact record structure?
    - What version of Pervasive is running?
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

I have the same problem my application is no longer supported and it was written in version 6 or maybe 7 some years ago. The application installer dose not install pervasive server or odbc drivers. I assume the application uses some kind of runtime build into the application program directory.

However when the application starts I see Pervasive log appear for a moment. I have also found the DDF files (file.ddf, field.ddf, index.ddf, fieldext.ddf, comment.ddf) in an application sub-directory. In an other application sub directory I found a series of data files with the *.btr extension.

I have install a trial version of PSQL Server 10 in the hope that I can get access to the data. I now have some nice ODBC drivers. So I should can use connection string or a DSN to connect to the database on the Pervasive Database Server.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My problems that I can not work out how to get the Pervasive Database server to read the DDF files and either connect to the BTR data files or import the BTR data files in to a new database. Can someone please tell me how to do this. It should be ease and I feel a little stupid as there is an nice GUI interface.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ideal would be to connect to the existing data as the application is still in use and I would like to start by connecting to the database and running reports in background while staff contine to use the application in foreground.

Also if I can access the existing live database. The I have a strong argument to say to my boss. If we should be keeping the existing database engine and I will write the replacement application in ASP .NET. Users can continue to use the existing application by logging in to the existing single user application using Remote Desktop Connection on the Windows XP as they currently do.

When I have finished writing the replacement in .NET. Users can start using the new ASP .Net application on the Intranet with no transition issues. We can upgrade to the New Version of Pervasive Server for better performance and stability. Also whe can test the new software on backup computer with confidance it will translate into realistic outcomes.

Also if I can not connect the existing live database then the boss will tell me to export the data to Access. Develop the application in Access and dump Pervasive. I can see that there is not way I will get the performance I need out of Access. Where as with my current experiements I think Pervasive will give the needed performance need which mean little headace for me .

My problems that I can not work out how to get the Pervasive Database server to read the DDF files and either connect to the BTR data files or import the BTR data files in to a new database. Can someone please tell me how to do this. It should be ease and I feel a little stupid as there is an nice GUI interface.

Thank You For Your Help
    Last edited by JacksonMate; 12-28-07 at 08:29.

Provided Answers: 4
    @JacksonMate,
    You really should have started a new thread.
    The short answer to your questions:
    To set up a database name/DSN, the steps are listed at:
    http://www.pervasive.com/library/doc....html#wp145758

As for accessing live data, it is possible if you have DDFs for the data files. You would just specify the live data when you are creating the Database Name.

Anything more and you should start a new thread with your questions.

Edit, I see you already started a new thread. I'll post this information there too.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.