Unanswered: How do I upgrade a package developed with MS Access 2007 Developer and runtime?

I've made a setup package that installs the front end of a split Access 2007 Database to a persons PC. I've made updates to the MS access Front end and want to create a new setup package for users to run that will uninstall the old version and install the new one. What needs to be done to do this?

Provided Answers: 59
    providing you have made no changes to libraries and packages referred to in your runtime build then distribute your MDE(s) as required.

if you have used new libraries, components or other elements then you may have to generate a new run time environment. One way to check that is to run your new front end in the runtime environment before you deploy the update.

Thank you for the reply. I have not made any changes to the libraries. I don't know what to change in the runtime setup of the updated front-end package. I want to create a new package using the runtime and deloper extensions that will uninstall the older package from their computer and then install this new one.

mebbe runtime has changed since I last had to deal with it.

as I understood it you build a copy of runtime with the correct db libraries, components and other stuff
    you deploy that runtime on client workstations
    you the deploy access application the MDB or MDE to each workstation. the runtime provides the equivalent of Access on each required workstation, that runs the application. you can deploy as many access applications, or versions of applications as you require.. a user needs a copy of runtime to run any access application. the application is indepedent of the runtime (although it requires runtime to work)

So if you have proved you runtime is working with your app then you need do no more with it..... send it out to your client workstations. if it isnt working with your app then you need to resolve any errors.. bearing in mind that if you take out anything you may need to check that any other applications still work.

if you existing runtime works with this app, then all you need do is deploy the new app.

Understood. the app works fine and is already installed on the end users computer. I want to install an updated version of the same app now. What do I need to do? Do I need to change the Upgrade and Product Codes? And how do I get it to uninstall the older version that is already on their PC wen I run the setup of the new updated version?

uninstall?

if your runtime environment is working...
    if you have tested your new app in the runtime environment, and it works....

then you 'just' send out your new application, leaving any existing runtime environment as is. you only need to worry about reinstalling if you change the runtime environment, and even if you do that Id be surprised if if you need to upgrade or use new product codes.

Provided Answers: 6
    I'm with healdem; you shouldn't have to uninstall anything. Just replace the front end itself.
    Paul