Thread: log file

Unanswered: log file

Dear forum,
    I need help. I have an instance that have many log archive generated by IDS since may of 2007.
    I want delete this file, but without making a backup.
    It is possible???
    Thank a lot
    R

log file

Better;
    Can I delete the log file form my IDS without making a logical-log backup?????
    Pleas help me

I deduce you want to remove a logical-log, logs exhibit with command onstat -l, right?
    If yes... you can remove with command "onparams -d -l <log_number>"
    But with this command the log will marked with Delete flag, to complete the process you must execute a Physical Backup level 0 .

Now , if the problem is your logical logs are all without backup (flag B on onstat -l) , and you want to delete them... I think this is not possible...
    You need execute a logical backup. If you do not have space on disk or tape to do this, alter you LTAPEDEV to /dev/null and execute ontape -a, or just link the file especified on the LTAPEDEV to /dev/null .
    Exemple:
    If your LTAPEDEV = /informix/archive/log/log.backup, remove this file and make the link: "ls -s /dev/null /informix/archive/log/log.backup"
    execute the ontape -a
    http://www.imartins.com.br/informix - English (translated by Google).

Dear ceinma,
    Thanks a lot for your answer.
    I have an instance that have 80 logical log. This instance has produced 90 gb of logical log archives, since may. 2007. So. I need delete this files.
    Questions:

1.- Can I delete this files without making a backup?
    2.- If I make a backup, with ontape -a. How many space I need for the logical backup, if I have 90 gb of logical logs?

I hope that you understand my problem.

Dear ceinma,
    Better,
    If I make a backup level 0 to dev/null, and then I delete all files that exist in the filesystem with the command rm *. I remember you, that this files isn't the logical log set in the onconfig, this files is produced every time that an logical log switch to other.

First, sorry my poor english..

Hum... I'm a bit confused ...

Well, lets start from zero..

1) What version of your IDS?
    3) What configuration you have on LTAPEDEV and TAPEDEV ?
    4) What exactly is this 90 GB of logical log archives? They are file on your file system?

To know how much size you will need to backup you Logical Log, just see the size column on the command "onstat -l ". But this is a pagesize, you must multiple to the page size of your IDS.

Just to explain some concepts...
    - If you have your Physcal backup (TAPEDEV) to /dev/null , is useless save your Logical backup (LTAPEDEV). So, if your TAPEDEV = /dev/null, just set your LTAPEDEV = /dev/null too. (THIS WAY YOU DO NOT HAVE A BACKUP!)

- If you save your Logical Log (LTAPEDEV) to some file and TAPEDEV to another file and execute a Physical Backup Level 0 periodically : You always can delete the logical log files when execute a full Physical Backup Level 0/1/2 .
    (this way you have a full backup with level 0 and incremental backup with level 1/2 plus Logical Log backup)
    http://www.imartins.com.br/informix - English (translated by Google).