Unanswered: Out of Memory Error in dBase III Plus

Dear Friends,

I have a Clipper Summer 87' compiled dBase III Plus application for one of my client.

For last few months, client is facing "Out of Memory" error in some of the menu options. We have increased the physical memory of the Desktop. The anti-virus software is also updated regularly. But the problem still persists.

Can somebody help me to sort of the problem ?

Prasad

Quote Originally Posted by pam62
    Dear Friends,

I have a Clipper Summer 87' compiled dBase III Plus application for one of my client.

For last few months, client is facing "Out of Memory" error in some of the menu options. We have increased the physical memory of the Desktop. The anti-virus software is also updated regularly. But the problem still persists.

Can somebody help me to sort of the problem ?

Prasad
    Prasad,

Which version of Windows are you using and how much memory does it have? It is possible that "out of memory" refers to physical memory (RAM), but more likely there is a command in the program which is using more memory than this DOS-era program normally accesses. For instance, perhaps an array has become too large. Do you know the exact line of code where this is occuring? What do those particular menu options do?

--
    Geoff Wass
    Montréal, Canada

Hello Geoff

Thanks for the reply. I am running the program on Windows 98 machine with 128 MB physical memory. Initially it was running with 64 MB RAM which I upgraded to 128 MB. The line of code in most of the menu option is indexing of dBase III file.

Prasad

dBASE III

Prasad,

Since indexing is involved in this problem, you probably have plenty of physical memory but are running into a problem with the DOS program managing memory. Unfortunately, I am not an expert in the DOS versions. I would suggest you look at the config file for your program and see if there is anything you can tweak there.

My main suggestion would be for you to gather this information together, including the contents of your config file, into a new message. Post that message to the dBASE news groups hosted at http://dbase.com (you can find their news group page here http://www.dbase.com/dBase_NewsGrpForums.asp ). Put your question in the dbase.programming news group. Be sure to state the version of dBASE and Clipper you are using and the exact error message.

The dBASE news groups are free and the people are friendly. There are still several programmers who are supporting applications in the DOS versions of dBASE so they will have much more experience than me for dealing with this type of question.

--
    Geoff Wass
    Montréal, Canada