Unanswered: Filtered datasheet

Hi again!

Things are going on nicely with my learning, here's something that I would like to understand though:

Currently I have a subform that is shown in a datasheet view. The data is basically a query that gathers the data in a table, then based on input I set in a textbox in another form, it filters it (specifically it uses LIKE to compare between complex user input strings and the table fields) so far so good.

Along with the above complex filtering I want some more basic filters to add up, based on less important fields.
    There's an option to filter exact phrases by right clicking on a column in the datasheet and choosing Filter, but I was wondering how good is it?
    - Can it be clearly indicated to the user that the list is filtered?
    - Can I create a button to remove the filtering?
    - Can filtering be even easier to the user than right clicking on a column > filter > etc. ?

Thanks much!
    Last edited by ronh; 12-21-07 at 10:01.

With regards to the following questions:

- Can it be clearly indicated to the user that the list is filtered?

Yes

- Can I create a button to remove the filtering?

Yes

- Can filtering be even easier to the user than right clicking on a column > filter > etc. ?

Yes

All of what you want to do can obviously be done and done easily. A form in Datasheet view is basically just a Table view. Not really much you can do with that is there other than change the Record Source or Filter when the Datasheet Form is opened. Oh...some other properties can be changed if you code in something to read the OpenArgs property and fiddle with its contents within the OnOpen event of the form as it loads. Yes, you can change/modify/Add/delete data and records if permitted but there is no real custom interaction with a Datasheet, especially if the Navigation buttons are not visible. You'll need to rely on system or custom menus to carry out the specific tasks provided within those menus.

Think about it.

If you want to interact or enhance the interaction (and the keyword here I think is interact) with a Datasheet, how would you do it?

How can you really customize the interaction with a Datasheet Form?

Of all the Databases and sample Databases you've seen...How is it done?

What does MS-Access have that is at your disposal to accomplish the task at hand.

Hint: Look at the Controls you have available to you in MS-Access.

Environment:
    Self Taught In ALL Environments.....And It Shows!

Thanks for the reply.
    I could basically create a textbox and have my query carry out its filtering based on what the user types in the textbox. This is how I did the LIKE string filters. This technique however, seems like an overkill for what I am looking for.
    But I guess I will stick with what Access provides. Although it may not be the easiest for users to filter records, it will do.
    Thanks again, I also appreciate your way of helping me learn. Sometimes the answer is right under my nose :-)