Unanswered: Creating A Daemon To Check DB2 For Updates

I'm trying to create a daemon (I guess it would be a process since it's a Windows server) that will continuously check DB2 for updates at a specified interval. And if there is an update, I need it to pull the updated information out and into another database application (Essbase). I'm about to start writing it in Java but do you guys have any other suggestions for an easier way to approach it?

Provided Answers: 1
    How about using the Q Replication engine? It will capture all updates for you and all you need to do is to populate your another database from the message stream, parsing it as it fits you.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

I'm on db2mag.com right now looking up the Q Replication Engine but while I'm doing that, can you tell me what it does? Or more specifically, how much of my problem it will cover so I know what I need to develop for the remaining portion. Thanks a lot!

- Also, which applications do you use to view the tables in a DB2 database? Do you use something in the DB2 suite itself or an external application?
    Last edited by Dan Maher; 12-21-07 at 14:04.

Another alternative is SQL Replication. There, you will have all data changes stored in so-called CD tables (change data tables). You can query the CD tables and apply those changes to your other database system.

And yet another replication-based idea is to write a federated wrapper that uses Essbase as remote data source. Then you could employ Q or SQL replication and repilcate between 2 DB2 databases where the target system consists of a bunch of nicknames pointing to the tables in Essbase.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Ya, I'm getting replication set up on the server now, it's going to take a week or so for the DB2 guys to get it finished. But in the mean time just incase, I'm writing a Java application that's going to check the warehouse as well.

does anyone have examples of how to use target base aggregate and change aggregate tables? I've collected I U D in CD tables for a registered table/column and now want to summarize this data on the target server.