Unanswered: No UNIX domain socket

I installed pgSQL on my test server (Ubuntu 7.10), to uh, test it. I've got a problem with how I'm able to connect to it though.

I left everything I could at default settings.
    I tried uncommenting & altering the unix_socket_* settings in postgresql.conf with no change, though the server did refuse to start when I used the group Apache uses.
    Code:
    unix_socket_directory = '/var/run/postgresql'		# (change requires restart)
    unix_socket_group = 'postgres'			# (change requires restart)
    unix_socket_permissions = 0777		# octal
    When I look at "netstat -l" I see an entry for postgresql in the TCP listeners, but there's no UNIX domain socket entry listed.

This leads to a problem where PHP can connect through TCP using pg_connect, but "localhost" must be explicitly implied to force PHP to use TCP mode or else it will fail to connect with no error message.
    From what I understand TCP is slower than a UNIX socket so I anticipate having that socket listening can only be good. I've been forced to alter DBAL code on one OSS application already, I'd really rather not have to alter anymore.

A reboot after some irrelevant system updates seems to have taken care of the issue.

I didn't want to comment on this since I don't know about the unix socket stuff, but since you mention a reboot after irrelevant system updates...

maybe you just needed to reload postgres. After you modify the config file you have to do a reload for changes to take effect. Just a thought!

Glad it is working for you.
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe