Unanswered: What is better.. Static or dynamic memory allocation ?

I have gotten mixed comments on this topic. I have a 64 bit machine running 64 windows 2003 standard and 64 SQL 2005 standard with 8 GB of RAM. We want to upgrade it to 32 GB. What is the best approach to do this? Dynamic or Stattic giving min and max server memory a value ? and if static what value should I use for 32 GB knowing that this box is only being used for SQL.

We always set ours to dynamic for our instances of SQL Server. We haven't run into any problems. I think that would be especially true for a server that is all SQL Server. Might as well let the system have free reign, especially if it's the primary purpose for the existence of the server.
    aka "Paul"
    Non est ei similis.

I just read "100 Things To Do Before You Die". I was surprised that "Yell for help!!" wasn't one of them

Provided Answers: 54
    Use dynamic memory management until it won't work for some reason (which is very, very rare). The machine can manage memory better than people can explicitly manage memory at least 99.99% of the time.

-PatP

We set it as dynamic but set a max 1GB below the physical memory - we had problems with the OS getting starved.