Unanswered: Unable to Change the thread

Hi All;
    I have a post about few years ago, and wanted to change but there is no edit option available. I believe it's too long time that's the reason it is disable to do so, I sent an email to the support with this question but noone is getting back to me! How can I change my previous post ? Anyone !
    Thanks;

Provided Answers: 4
    Oh well, as far as I can tell, administration staff of the dBforums doesn't pay much attention to member's needs. There's no even a way to report your own message and get attention.

What you could do is:
    • send a private message to one of the moderators. I believe they can do the modification you need. Their names are listed at the bottom of the message list.
    • post another reply in the original thread and explain what was wrong in the original message.

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot
    Oh well, as far as I can tell, administration staff of the dBforums doesn't pay much attention to member's needs. There's no even a way to report your own message and get attention.
    Those are certainly interesting observations.

-PatP

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Happy New Year 2008 to one & all!
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Those are certainly interesting observations.

-PatP
    Yes, indeed.

I am not talking about moderators - they are always here; I visit Oracle forum and have even seen Rudy to moderate this forum as well (and I'm quite happy about it).

However, I remember cries for help on the Suggestions and Feedback forum not that long ago, but it appeared that there was noone from the iNET who was "responsible" to maintain the Forum. To me, when they finaly took a look at it, it sounded like this: "Oh, my! Do we have a forum as well here?!? Gosh! Let's find someone who will take care about it ... hmm, it will be ... it will be ... SoftWareRevue!".

It was Troy Augustine who admitted that
    dBForums was not getting the attention it deserved from iNET, and moderation had fallen off.
    Even you, Pat, have said that
    R937 was the only useful moderator (at least from my perspective), and he gave up trying a while ago. As long as the site continues to pull in advertising revenue, I doubt that anyone will notice (the fact that this site is experiencing some very poor performance).
    Then, there was a "hunt" for new moderators and even my grandma would have been hired back then, only if she knew how to spell SQL (as the situation was that critical).

Things have improved since, but (for example) there are still single-message-threads that came from nowhere (looks like it was taken out from its context), sometimes with hundreds of views and 0 (zero) replies. Search engine works (or works not; I lost my nerves using it).

I understand this is "just a forum" and probably there's no direct benefit from it to a site owner, and - on the other hand - it requires someone to maintain it, improve its features, perhaps even backup it etc. In my opinion, situation here is not critical, is far from its worse days, but I've also seen forums which are better taken care of.

Excuse my not-that-perfect English; I just hope I managed to explain what I meant to say in my previous post.

littlefoot, you have a remarkable memory

and your english is excellent -- much better than my croatian

also, thanks for the kind words about me

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Littlefoot is certainly correct that things were what could charitably be called "interesting" here at DBForums back then. As r937 commented, Littlefoot has a remarkable memory, since that was a long time ago (at least by internet standards).

As SoftwareRevue and I are the designated "Administrators" (he does the iNet side of things, I do the user side of things) for DBForums, I interpreted Littlefoot's original comment as a pretty direct comment about us.

If anyone has a complaint about DBForums or how it runs, I actively want to hear that complaint. Most complaints are junque, and I try to handle those as diplomatically as I can (some of them it is hard to just keep a straight face). I fix what I can, as quickly as I can, but I have a life and I'm not on DBForums more than a few hours a day so sometimes you have to be a bit patient. Some problems affect the business side of the site, and those I can't deal with directly, but I'll make sure that someone that can deal with them hears about those problems, repeatedly.

-PatP

SoftwareRevue and I are the designated "Administrators"
    Ah, now I understand your "red" colour (as opposed to the "orange" one moderators have).

I'm glad to hear that things are under your control now. Without law and order enforcement people, this place would be an utter mess. I sincerely apologize if my observation hurt your or anyone else's feelings, but that was exactly what my feelings were.

P.S. No, Rudy; thank YOU.
    P.P.S. I hope Kalakheti finally got his message fixed!

There are times that things get to be an utter mess in spite of all of our best efforts... The spammers (and worse) outnumber us by at least hundreds to one, and probably much more. I still think that DBForums is a lot better off than it was.

Rudy and all of the moderators do a phenominal job, at very low pay (none of us get paid). I always like to point out how much work gets done, nearly around the clock, by volunteers that "keeps the wheels on the bus" around here. Good moderators are very hard to find, and DBForums is lucky to have a sizable crew of great moderators.

While I rarely comment on administrative actions, the issue that Kalakheti raised was already fixed by the time I posted my first message in this thread. I "threw" the offending thread, so that only moderators can see it... It will be weeks before Google, Ask, etc. lose that content, but there is nothing I can about that and it will eventually go away.

-PatP