Unanswered: sql server backup/restore

Hi all,
    I am new to Sql server backup and restore.
    I have an sql server database in my office and I have successfully copied the whole database to my pc at home. For this purpose I used complete database backup.

Now what I want to do is delete all the data from office database(this can be done manually also) and copy daily data to my pc at home.So that only one day data will reside in my office compuer.

I tried this with completed database backup/restore again. But the old data in my home pc got lost. And when I tried the same with differetial backup, it gave an error message lile "the restore process was not stared with NORECOVER or STAND BY option".

Please suggest me how can I do daily backup from office computer and restore the data to my home PC so that the daily data gets appended to the existing database in my home PC.

Thank you in advance.

Provided Answers: 54
    I don't think that there is an automated way to do this. I know that you can't do it using backup and restore, and I can't think of a way to do it using replication although there might be a way to finagle it.

I'm having a hard time visualizing a business need for such a thing. It seems like this would cause data integrity problems, risk data loss, and generally cause problems... I think I understand what you've described from a technical perspective, but can you explain what goal you're trying to achieve in the real world by doing this so that I can understand your request and might be able to help you better?

-PatP

I'm sure it can be done if you had some good T-SQL and Windows Shell scripting knowledge to create output files that contain each day's data and then a script to load (append) the data to the db tables at home, it's not going to be a point and click operation. I've done similar operations with Oracle, SQL and Sybase, but I used tools such as shell scripting, DTS, BCP and T-SQL.

Provided Answers: 54
    That was kind of my point... Without knowing exactly what Bishnu wanted to accomplish, I'm not sure how to advise them to proceed. I'm certain that there isn't any functionality actually delivered with SQL Server to do what they described, although given the time and the incentive I can script just about anything I can imagine.

-PatP