Question Unanswered: How do I connecting to existing DDF and BTR data files.

My application is no longer supported and it was written in version 6 or maybe 7 some years ago. The application installer dose not install pervasive server or odbc drivers. I assume the application uses some kind of runtime build into the application program directory.

However when the application starts I see Pervasive log appear for a moment. I have also found the DDF files (file.ddf, field.ddf, index.ddf, fieldext.ddf, comment.ddf) in an application sub-directory. In an other application sub directory I found a series of data files with the *.btr extension.

I have install a trial version of PSQL Server 10 in the hope that I can get access to the data. I now have some nice ODBC drivers. So I should can use connection string or a DSN to connect to the database on the Pervasive Database Server.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My problems that I can not work out how to get the Pervasive Database server to read the DDF files and either connect to the BTR data files or import the BTR data files in to a new database. Can someone please tell me how to do this. It should be ease and I feel a little stupid as there is an nice GUI interface.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ideal would be to connect to the existing data as the application is still in use and I would like to start by connecting to the database and running reports in background while staff contine to use the application in foreground.

Also if I can access the existing live database. The I have a strong argument to say to my boss. If we should be keeping the existing database engine and I will write the replacement application in ASP .NET. Users can continue to use the existing application by logging in to the existing single user application using Remote Desktop Connection on the Windows XP as they currently do.

When I have finished writing the replacement in .NET. Users can start using the new ASP .Net application on the Intranet with no transition issues. We can upgrade to the New Version of Pervasive Server for better performance and stability. Also whe can test the new software on backup computer with confidance it will translate into realistic outcomes.

Also if I can not connect the existing live database then the boss will tell me to export the data to Access. Develop the application in Access and dump Pervasive. I can see that there is not way I will get the performance I need out of Access. Where as with my current experiements I think Pervasive will give the needed performance need which mean little headace for me .

My problems that I can not work out how to get the Pervasive Database server to read the DDF files and either connect to the BTR data files or import the BTR data files in to a new database. Can someone please tell me how to do this. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Provided Answers: 4
    The short answer to your questions:
    To set up a database name/DSN, the steps are listed at:
    http://www.pervasive.com/library/doc....html#wp145758

As for accessing live data, it is possible if you have DDFs for the data files. You would just specify the live data when you are creating the Database Name.

Once you've got the Pervasive COntrol Center accessing the data, then we can discuss methods of accessing the data through ASP.NET.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Thank's, that's great. Connected to the database. However when I try to access the database I get the following error message. [LNA][ODBC Engine Interface][Data Record Manager]The maximum number of user count licenses has been reached(Btrieve Error 161).

No one was logged in to the database via the application at the time. So it seamed strange. The error message on the web say I need to get a licence number from software vendor. The problem is the vendor no longer exists. Is there a way to resolve this.

Also the database wants a user name and password to log in. But we have never logged in to the database the application dose it automatically. Is there a way to find this out.

Provided Answers: 4
    The maximum number of user count licenses has been reached(Btrieve Error 161).
    This is a Pervasive error. When you installed the v10 engine, you should have gotten an email with the trial license key. You need to apply that license key using the Pervasive License Administrator otherwise you only get a 1 user 1 day license.

As far as the database requiring a login, where exactly do see the login prompt? Most PSQL databases do not require a user/password.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.