Unanswered: Can't get started

I just installed SQL server 2005 with SP2 on Vista business.

When I open Management Studio, and try to Register a new server, I get this message:

Cannot connect to MyServer.
    Additional information:
    An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could nor open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 1231)

When I open SQL Server 2005 Surface Area configuration and click on Add New Administrator, there are no Available privileges. Not sure if this is relevant.

Don't know what to do, any help will be appreciated.

What is the connection string that you are using to connect to that server?

Try going into the Surface Area Configuration and then select "Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connection". Now expand the Database Engine tree node and select "Local and remote connections". I user both TCP/IP and named pipes. Hope this helps. - McKelly

Don't know what the connection string is, how do I see that?

Can't go into "Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connection". When I click on that, I get a message: "No SQL Server 2005 components were found on the specified computer. Either no components are installed, or you are not an administrator on this computer. (SQLSAC)"

What I ment is that by default SQL Server won't allow external connections, only local ones. This said, if your connection string, or connection settings, are trying to connect to a network address that might be causing the problem. However, if you indeed intend to connect to the server outside the box scope then you need to go to SQL Server Configuration Manager and explicitly allow that.

In your services do you see SQL Browser and is it started ?
    Less is more.
    How long is now?
    http://www.lesouterrain.com