Unanswered: Missing Log File

I have a client that is asking me to convert a vertical market application from their old program to ours. The old application uses Sybase SQL Anywhere and mine uses SQL Server. They provided the .DB but there is no log file available.

I have downloaded ASA 9 and have it running. But when I tried to load the database, it says the log file is missing and it won't open. How can I get beyond this problem? (We're not worried about losing data in the db.)

Thanks.

First of all.. Good luck converting ASA to SQL Server..

Pat: if you are listening, I think we need separate forums for ASE, ASA and IQ.... We simply dont have bandwidth to support ASA and IQ.

for the OP... This is mostly an ASE forum. Theres 3 major databases from Sybase which unfortunately have 3 different syntaxes / concepts.

ASE - Adaptive Server Enterprise - Sybase OLTP database which MS upgraded / deviated from.
    ASA - Adaptive Server Anywhere - Sybase mobile database which they acquired a few years ago.
    IQ - Adaptive Server IQ - Sybase Datwarehousing product which they acuired a few years ago.

Due to the lack of Sybase people around... everything is being dumped in one single forum, which is not that good, in my opionion... Pat? Would appreciate ur comments..

Thanks,
    Vishi

Provided Answers: 54
    Starting with the original poster's question: You ought to be able to use the ASA 9.0 utilities to recover the DB file. Once you do that, you can use ODBC to access the data in the ASA database from DTS (for MS-SQL 2000) or SSIS (for MS-SQL 2005). Once you can do this, you can recover the data and the table definitions (and maybe the DRI too) from the ASA database

Vishi has raised a two-edged sword reguarding Sybase forum support. Your analysis is correct, ASE is the "original" Sybase product, the database engine that has been with the company since the inception of them both. ASA is Adaptive Server Anywhere, which was formerly Waterloo SQL. Sybase IQ is largely unknown, even by Sybase representatives (the folks in the Sybase booth at a recent trade show didn't recognize IQ as a Sybase product, they claimed it was a "third party" product until I pointed it out in their own literature).

The problem is that at least compared to other database products, there aren't a whole lot of Sybase users actively participating in forums anywhere on the internet. I'm pretty sure that DBForums could provide separate forums for each Sybase product, but that would further divide the user base making support that much harder for new users (like the OP, bjones8888) to find and I think that would be a very bad thing.

I'm open to suggestions, but I think that the Sybase users would be better off working together than splitting up, reguardless of which product (ASE, ASA, IQ, or other) that they use.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 1
    Due to the confusion between ASE and ASA
    ASA was renamed back to SQL Anywhere.

The difference between the products are just as big as the difference between MS Access and MS SQL Server

I've had some exposure to SQL Anyware a long time ago and Pat is correct, you should be able to start by creating a new log
    I've done a quick google search, see: Transaction log is missing...

Maybe start a new thread on the Usenet newsgroup sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general if the above does not work with your version

Yes Activity is low on Sybase groups but like Vishi I think it should be seperate

Activity/Number of posts on sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general
    Code:
         Jan  Feb  Mar  Apr  May  Jun  Jul  Aug  Sep  Oct  Nov  Dec 
    2006 740  611  803  660  730  770  447  651  747  768  631  454     
    2007 578  503  540  674  474  424  434  473  457  520  540  463     
    2008 40

Hi Pat,

Yeah, I get what you are saying... I guess we are in a catch 22 situation Lets hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by pdreyer
    Activity/Number of posts on sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general
    Code:
         Jan  Feb  Mar  Apr  May  Jun  Jul  Aug  Sep  Oct  Nov  Dec 
    2006 740  611  803  660  730  770  447  651  747  768  631  454     
    2007 578  503  540  674  474  424  434  473  457  520  540  463     
    2008 40
    Wow, just noticed this. Thats not bad at all