Unanswered: connect to sql server 2005 from my laptop

all,

I have the standard edition of SQL Server 2005 installed on a WIN XP Pro machine. I setup file and print sharing with my laptop. What do I need to be able to connect to SQL Server on my WIN XP Pro machine from my laptop. I hope to do most of my developing on my laptop. Do I need the developers edition of SQL server 2005 installed on my laptop?

Provided Answers: 6
    you might have a fire wall issue. are you having an error or a problem with your connection string? Have you set yourself up with a login for laptop to connect to your sql server?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

I have not set up any login for my laptop yet. I need to know should I install the developers edition on my laptop. Also, I need to know what steps I need to connect my laptop to my win xp pro machine that has the sql server standard edition installed on it. I already set up a home network between both machines. I have win xp home installed on my laptop.

depends on what you want to do. if you want to use the sql server manageement studio, yes you will need to install the sql server client tools. if you just need to connect via an application connection string, you may only need the right version of MDAC.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

I would like to do some developing from my laptop by connecting to the sql server thats on the win xp pro machine. So do understand I need to install the developers edition on my laptop and setup a user login to connect to the server?
    Thanks

well you do not necessarily need the developers edition but if you are going to be creating sql server objects, you will definitely need sql server cleant tools installed.

Thanks. Will I need to configure SQL on the XP Pro machine to be able to connect with my laptop or is it done automatically upon installation?
    Thanks

you will likely have to open the default port in your windows firewall or other firewall program on your xp pro machine. You will also have to add a windows or a sql account to the sql server on your xp pro machine for the laptop to use to connect with.

How do I add a windows or sql account if I don't see it? I setup the network between my computers. It's working. I can see both in my "network connections". But when I try to setup a login in Sql Server Management Studio, I don't see my laptop in "locations" to add a user for my laptop. What am I doing wrong?

I would probably just use sql server authentication (username and password) since this is just a development lab. you might have to change the server setting for authentication from windows only to mixed mode.