Question Unanswered: Add new Disk to existing DB

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, and I am not an expert in DB. I have one question that bothering me, after a exhausting search

Currently I have PC with ..
    -RedHat Linux 2.6.9-34 ELsmp version
    -Intel Pentium 4
    -Postgres 8.2.5
    -120 GB disk

The disk is going to be fulled very soon, and I want to increase disk space and preserve my existing data WITHOUT doing thing like replace my 120 GB disk with 500 GB disk, then copy all data to the new disk)

I would like to do something like... plug-in new disk into my PC, do some config and Postgres some how will know that it has another 500 GB available to use. So when new data insert it will continue insert as if nothing happen

Thank you in advance

I have not extended the db onto a new partition, but I am sure people around here have experience with that

I wanted to ask though... do you need the 620GB or are you trying avoid doing a pg_restore to put the db data onto the new install? (I am ignoring the OS config in this question).

My guess is that it would be a bit cleaner as far as configuration if you did a new install and restored your data.

But.. someone with more experience will come along and answer you question better I am sure
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe

My original concept is able to use existing data in different drives and add new drive to store more data, because data in my db is growing quite fast and never decrease.

Beside, I trying to learn how to do it (add drive and make thing run as normal) in short period of down time.

Thank you for your suggestions

How do you have the partitions set up on your system?

What partition is the database on?

Here is the section on tablespaces: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/i...blespaces.html

I think that may at least lead you in the direction you want to go
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe