Question Unanswered: very NEW to this database server stuff... probably simple for you, but hard for me...

Hi everyone,

BACKGROUND:
    I just set up a network with 2 computers (direct cable network, no routers/hubs), one computer is running Windows 2000 Server and the other is running Windows XP Professional. They both recognize each other and I can access each computer on either computer. The WinXP computer has SQL Server 2005 express edition installed on it.

BASIC PROBLEM:
    I am trying to install a database server on my Windows 2000 Server OS computer. This computer is a 350MHz, 256mb RAM computer. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks.

Well...
    You don't install databases, you create them. They are managed & housed by an RDBMS - like SQL Server. So the short of it is - if you want a database on the 2k machine you need to install SQL Server on the 2k machine. If you mean you want to create a database on the XP machine using the 2K machine you need the client tools (SSMS Express) installing on the 2k machine.

"We need a bigger boat" - I would apply the same logic to the machine you wish to install SQL Sever on.

There is a little problem... I have SQL Server 2005 EE installed on my WinXP computer, but I cannot install this on my Win2000Server computer because it is only a 350MHz computer. The minimum requirements for SQL Server 2005 EE is a PIII @ 600MHz.

What can I do?

... not install it on the 2k server.

Why, on a network of two machines, do you want SQL Server on both especially since one is so hopelessly under specced? I presume you are trying to set up some sort of lab\ tinkering environment right?

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    ... not install it on the 2k server.

Why, on a network of two machines, do you want SQL Server on both especially since one is so hopelessly under specced? I presume you are trying to set up some sort of lab\ tinkering environment right?
    Yes, all I want to do is learn SQL Server 2005 EE ( or any other SQL Server ), but when I log on my WinXP computer it asks for a Database Engine or a SQL Server Compact Edition ( BREAK DOWN: Asks for Server Type>Database File> Authentication> Login> Password).

What do I have to install on my Win2000Server to connect from my WinXP and start using the SQL Server 2005 EE?

Ah - then your problem is different. And I would forget about your 2k server - I don't think it is really sufficiently specced for the OS let alone something like sql server. If you are trying to learn how to use SQL Server then there is no problem having the engine and client tools installed on one machine.

Right - you log onto the XP machine. When do you get this error message?

Ah - then your problem is different. And I would forget about your 2k server - I don't think it is really sufficiently specced for the OS let alone something like sql server. If you are trying to learn how to use SQL Server then there is no problem having the engine and client tools installed on one machine.

Right - you log onto the XP machine. When do you get this error message?
    Well, I don't think it's an error, it says "Connect to Server". But yes, I am on my XP machine.
    When I start SQL Server Management Studio Express I am greeted by this "Connect to Server", so I assumed I needed a server to use this SQL Server 2005 EE...
    Last edited by OnlyCurious; 01-04-08 at 13:37.

At what point? When you log in to windows? Or are you using the client tools at this point? Or are you installing?

At what point? When you log in to windows? Or are you using the client tools at this point? Or are you installing?
    When I am on my Windows XP computer, I go to Start > All Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server Management Studio Express. It gives me the "Connect to Server" options. I don't know what to do at this point.

Ah - that is standard. You will get that whenever you open SSMS. Click the drop down - you should get the SQL Server instance name. Select it and click "ok".