Question Unanswered: Please help… automating data entry from RSS Feed Web Page Source

Hi folks,

I need to set up a database, ideally in Access, that is able to automatically populate itself with information from a particular website’s live RSS feed which updates every 5 minutes, to be left running 24/7. Any new text entries on this page, which is in .aspx form, need to be captured and saved as a new db entry, better still with the data (which is always provided in the same order) split to the appropriate fields. The resultant database can them be used for future backup and cross-referencing.

Is this in any way possible using off-the shelf software? Is there a particular application I can use for capturing the information and converting to database form, or would this need a bespoke developed solution to add on to a database package? Is Access OK for this, or is there a better option out there?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Nick

Provided Answers: 10
    Ok, a few quesions spring to mind
    1. Why?
    2. Why every 5 minutes?
    3. What site?
    4. Are you aware of how RSS feeds are created?
    George
    Home | Blog

The purpose is to collect statistical information for a university project.

It just happens that the information page is specified to be updated every 5 minutes, so this is the frequency it would need to be checked.

The site itself to use this on hasn't been made yet - this is someone else's project! Having said that I'm sure there are pages out there I can test it on.

I've no idea how RSS feeds are created - am I missing something obvious here?

Provided Answers: 10
    George
    Home | Blog