Unanswered: SQL Server Reporting Services/Hyperlink question

Hi all

I am having allot of fun with SQL Server Reporting services, and getting some rave reviews from users. Our tech wants me to look into putting hyperlinks on the reports, in case the users want to access the scanned documents pertaining to the record. Anyone know how to do that.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by desireemm
    Hi all

I am having allot of fun with SQL Server Reporting services, and getting some rave reviews from users. Our tech wants me to look into putting hyperlinks on the reports, in case the users want to access the scanned documents pertaining to the record. Anyone know how to do that.

thank you
    The Reporting Services Textbox object has a set of navigation properties that you can set to navigate to all sorts of things =)

If you add a column to the dataset with the file url you should be able to set it as navigation url property for the textbox and solve your problem. Please be aware of file access priviledges (ex: average joe access the report and clicks the link to a file that only managers should be able to see).

Thank for your reply . Its just that I drag the table over to the design view of the report. then I put in my fields and the field with the hyperlink address. I go to the texbox properties and the naviagion area then Jump to URL then I put in the =Fields!EmployeeDocs.value but when i preview the report the link doesnt work, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolic
    The Reporting Services Textbox object has a set of navigation properties that you can set to navigate to all sorts of things =)

If you add a column to the dataset with the file url you should be able to set it as navigation url property for the textbox and solve your problem. Please be aware of file access priviledges (ex: average joe access the report and clicks the link to a file that only managers should be able to see).

Only the mangers will see the scanned reports, its just a matter of getting the link to the documents to work

Is this ok?? I'm trying to give the user the ability to look up by either LastName or StartDateIssued and EndDateIssued or IR# or If they were Upheld or not

Code:
    ALTER PROCEDURE [PatronsLookUp]
    @Enter_LastName NVARCHAR(50) = NULL,
    @StartDateIssued DATETIME = NULL,
    @EndDateIssued DATETIME = NULL,
    @Enter_IR# NVARCHAR(50) = NULL,
    @Enter_Upheld CHAR(10) = NULL
    AS

SELECT FirstName, Lastname, IR#, [Date Issued], [Date Served], Hearing, Upheld
    FROM dbo.PatronsDipute_Table
    WHERE ([Date Issued] BETWEEN @StartDateIssued AND @EndDateIssued) OR
    	 (LastName = @Enter_Lastname )OR
    	 ([IR#] = @Enter_IR# ) OR
    	([Upheld] = @Enter_Upheld)
    Last edited by desireemm; 01-10-08 at 18:54.

Not really sure about why you are declaring your local variables in such way. If you create a procedure like this:

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.p_PatronsLookup
    @lastName AS NVarChar(50)
    AS
    BEGIN
    (..)
    END

When you invoke the procedure if you don't pass a value for the lastName variable it will automatically be NULL. It can be just my lack of best practices knowledge, though =)

As for the report navigation issue you should retrieve, from the dataset, the full or partial link so you can set the navigation property like this:

=Fields!DocumentUrl.Value for the full path, or ="http://myurl.com/docs/" & Fields!DocumentUrl.Value. However, if you hardcode your document repository in the report if, for some reason, it changes url you'll gain a maitainance hell problem. You should have a "configuration / settings" table in your DB from where you can collect those constants.
    Last edited by Diabolic; 01-11-08 at 07:39.

Reporting Server

Hi there,
    I want to put a conditional hyperlink like
    =IIF(Expression to evaluate,
    what-to-do when the expression is true,
    what-to-do when the expression is false)

but for this hyperlink (working)
    =("javascript:void(window.open('http://linkadmin/Customer/CustomerDetails.asp?ID=0&EID=170&chkActiveCustomer =2&CUSTCD=" & Fields!CustCD.Value & "','_blank'))"

but conditional one like below

=iif("javascript:void(window.open('http://linkadmin/Customer/CustomerDetails.asp?ID=0&EID=170&chkActiveCustomer =2&CUSTCD=" & Fields!CustCD.Value & "','_blank'))", "nothing")