Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    48

    Unanswered: Data not updated in split database

    I have a split database, and I have manually modified some records in the table in the back-end database. I then closed this be-DB.

    When I opened the front-end DB, the new data was not present, even though the tables in the fe-DB are linked to the tables in the be-DB.

    Is this normal, and if so, what should I do each time the be-Db is modified ?

    All help and suggestions are appreciated

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Posts
    372
    It must be you made a mistake somewhere.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Préverenges, Switzerland
    Posts
    3,740
    what do you mean "modified" ?
    if you modified the linked-table design, delete the linked table from FE and relink to it.

    editing data direct in the BE should not behave as you describe.

    izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    559
    Yes, just like izy said, if you make a modification to ANY tables (be it the data in them, structure, or addition of fields, etc), you MUST delete and relink the tables to ALL of the front-ends that you have throughout your network.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    4,049
    I've never had to do that. I often directly edit backend data... even structural changes... and the changes are immediately reflected in my front-end files.

    Did you try to compact and repair the files?

    Definitely not normal behaviour.
    Owner and Manager of
    CypherBYTE, Microsoft Access Development Specialists.
    Microsoft Access MCP.
    And all around nice guy!


    "Heck it's something understood by accountants ... so it can't be 'that' difficult..." -- Healdem
    "...teach a man to code and he'll be frustrated for life! " -- georgev

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Préverenges, Switzerland
    Posts
    3,740
    table structure edits at the BE: depends which engine you are linking to. for anything else but Jet my habit was "delete"(=unlink) & relink at the FE: possibly ineffective/unnecessary, but for the 9 seconds it takes it is a worthwhile experiment if the app is broken.

    i haven't linked a database-server table since 1999, so maybe everything is better now

    izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    48
    thanks everyone. You pointed me in the right direction.

    I had split the DB on my HDD, then copied the back-end to a server. I modified the backend data on the server, but it never showed up in the front end. Turns out that the front end was linked to the original backend on my HDD, not to the copied version on the server

    duhhhh!! most embarrassing, and took a long while to find

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    4,049
    As long as you find it... that's the most important thing
    Owner and Manager of
    CypherBYTE, Microsoft Access Development Specialists.
    Microsoft Access MCP.
    And all around nice guy!


    "Heck it's something understood by accountants ... so it can't be 'that' difficult..." -- Healdem
    "...teach a man to code and he'll be frustrated for life! " -- georgev

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •