Unanswered: "BULK INSERT", database options and minimally / non logged transactions...

Does the database option "select into/bulkcopy/pllsort" need to be set for "BULK INSERT" transactions?

Or is there an exception? For example, the below...

"You do not have to set 'select into/bulkcopy/pllsort' to run bcp on a table that has indexes, because inserts are logged."

Please refer to the following URL - http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/in...sag/X80055.htm

Thank you.

would like to implement transaction log dumps...

I forgot to elaborate on why I'm asking this question...

We would like to implement transaction log dumps for recovery reasons, but two database options are currently set which may interfere with successfully implementing a successfuly transaction log recovery solution. They are...

"select into/bulkcopy/pllsort" and "trunc log on checkpoint"

Of course we will want to disable both before implementing hourly transaction log dumps.

In addition, we need to better understand how "BULK INSERT" transactions will be impacted if these database options are turned off and if we can successfully dump the transaction log after a "BULK INSERT" takes place. We think that the answer may be yes if the below URL is understood correctly.

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/in...sag/X80055.htm

Thank you for your help and time you are setting aside.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ftmjr
    "You do not have to set 'select into/bulkcopy/pllsort' to run bcp on a table that has indexes, because inserts are logged."
    Correct, and it will be slower than a non logged bcp

Quote Originally Posted by ftmjr
    I forgot to elaborate on why I'm asking this question...
    We would like to implement transaction log dumps for recovery reasons.
    One important thing to ask the Applicaiton folks as a dba.

For eg., the system crashed at 10:30 and is not recoverable etc... And we have transaction log dumps till 10:00 am and we recover the database till 10:00 am.. At any single point of time, will they be able to assess what is missing and what is not... You wiill be surprised, most of the 9-5 applications will have no clue.. in terms of doing what next... Worth the question to ask.

Just an afterthought, if you have a huge environment and want to make it as a standard of dumping transaction logs with common scripts, its a different issue altogether.

thank you... :)

pdreyer,

Thank you so much for your clear and brief answer. It is very helpful to have such a clear and to the point answer.

Many thanks.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by trvishi
    At any single point of time, will they be able to assess what is missing and what is not... You will be surprised, most of the 9-5 applications will have no clue.. in terms of doing what next... Worth the question to ask.
    Indeed, I once worked for a company that preferred going back to the nightly backup if something goes wrong as it was easier for them to redo what happened that day than to try and asses what is missing.