Unanswered: Can profiler run forever?

I created a profiler to run on a remote server in local. Then I logout. After two hours, I login again. The profiler was closed. I don't know when and why. Did someone have same problem? Is this normal?

Thanks

ZYT
    ZYT

Provided Answers: 6
    what I think you are saying is that you did this with Remote Desktop, in which case, your session was killed when you logged out. Not profilers fault. Its remote desktop.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Sean:

Thanks. It is reasonable. What solution do you have? I cannot login by Remote Desktop long time.

ZYT

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    what I think you are saying is that you did this with Remote Desktop, in which case, your session was killed when you logged out. Not profilers fault. Its remote desktop.
    ZYT

i have no idea what your environment is, so it will be hard to give you one.

do you have access to profiler on a machine you have physical access to. that's the best bet.

i suppose you could hit the X in the top right hand corner of the RD screen. That does not log you out but eventually your session will timeout or some cranky administrator will kill your session and send you a peice of hate mail. But barring those 2 things, you could log back in and profiler will still be there running
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Yeah, if you do find a solution, it will run until you run out of disk space
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Create a profile trace, but instead of starting the trace, save it to a sql script. Then create a job to run the trace. Using the agent, you can start and stop the trace at a desired time, and then impoer the trace file to a database table.

Look up trace, trace events, and all the sp_trace_* stored procedures in BOL.

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    Yeah, if you do find a solution, it will run until you run out of disk space
    you can set a stop time, file rollover, and a max file size.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    Look up trace, trace events, and all the sp_trace_* stored procedures in BOL.
    totally right. i always forget you can script traces. I am really a dev DBA who plays a production dba on tv.

Or you can also connect to a remote desktop using the "console", and then close your rdp without loging out.

But that means that the session still open on your server, I think scheduled task will be your best alternative.
    Less is more.
    How long is now?
    http://www.lesouterrain.com

I've started playing with this after I came across it trying to help another profiler question from a guy on here:
    http://vyaskn.tripod.com/server_side...sql_server.htm