Post Unanswered: Microsoft Access 2007

Hi,

I am using ms access 2007 on six pc's in my office.Whenever I save a access 2007 database file on server and try to access it shows error already in use by other user or cannot find the file.

If the same database file in kept on local pc and users try to access it everything woks fine.

Have went various articles on microsoft sites but couldnt find any information.

Can someone help me on this.

Have you tried placing the tables in a database on the network and then placing the forms and queries and whatever else you might have to manipulate the data in a seperate access file on each computer which links to the database on the network? One problem you may be encountering is that there are recordlocks that are preventing other users from accessing the data. Structuring this in a distributed way is better all around. Using linked tables has lots of advantages... for example, you can maintain control over the datastructure... nobody will accidentally change something by messing around in the access file they have on their own computer. There's often a speed increase... there's less strain on your network... etc. Worth checking this out. Though I can't guarentee that this is the cause of your troubles, this may help.

Ms Access 2007

Thanks for your help.But this is not the cause of my problem.
    What I am thinking of is the file size is too huge approximately more than 25MB.This is what comes to my mind that is causing problem when shared through server.Maybe it is taking too much of resource through server and works fine though local system

Is there any other work around???

Well... first thing that comes to mind is compacting and repairing the database. One word of caution, however, that you need to be the exclusive user of the DB. I would backup a copy (just copy it to some other location... doesn't require anything more formal) before doing the compact and repair (in 2007 that's found under the

Office Button : Manage : Compact and Repair Database

Generally speaking, however, it still might be wise to attempt to segregate the data from the interface and rely on linking. Distributed applications are designed to be used in a networked environment and so even a slow network would handle calls to a networked access file containing tables of data from a local access file containing a gui. If you haven't tried this option I highly recommend it. In my office the network is less than I'd like and making the switch between having the gui in the networked file and having just the tables in the networked file allowed me to increase the spead (it used to take 45 seconds to load my app before the switch and now takes less than 5 seconds after... no other changes).

If neither of these solutions work there is one final option... decompiling and recompiling... though I've read reports that suggest that this can either leave you with the same file size or a larger file size (though I've experienced it as a method of decreasing). Check out this article. Hope that helps. Let me know how it goes.

I'd highly recommend splitting the mdb file to a frontend mdb and a backend mdb. Then you can make it so each user is in their own frontend mdb (I personally like to run a vb script which clones the source frontend mdb, adds the user name to the cloned mdb and launches it). I never have to worry about locked mdb's and I can copy a new source frontend mdb at any time doing it this way. I'm not sure if you've done this or not already though.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)