Unanswered: problems with online backup...include logs option

Hello Gurus,

I am a newbie to this forum.

ENV: DB2 v9, AIX 5.3

We are backing up the database to TSM. The archive logs go to a different managementclass (primary DISK stgpool -- BUPOOL3) where as backups are going to tape. This is the backup command that I am using:

db2 backup database $Dbname online use tsm parallelism 4 include logs

Sometimes (there is no pattern) the backup fails with the following error:

SQL2025N An I/O error "-50" occurred on media "TSM".

Earlier we thought that probably there are insufficient tape drives (mount points) available but that wasn't the case. The db2diag.log shows the following error:

ADM8010E Backup was unable to copy requested log file "S0000086.LOG" for inclusion in the backup image. The backup has been aborted.

Now it seems the problem is the "include logs" option that we are using with the backup command. After researching there's not much I could find other than "The error occurs when archiving and retrieving happen simultaneously".

Is there a way to get around this problem? How can I set up a different management class for the logs that are included with the backup. Will this affect the backup performance and the restore?

Thanks in advance for the help

rangupt

Provided Answers: 5
    Just an idea, as I do not know aix or tsm, how about setting logarchmeth1 to disk, logarchmeth2 to tsm, and clean up the archive logs from logarchmeth1 when appropriate?

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I could use that, but I really want to use the "include logs" option.

Say, does "include logs" include only the active logs at the time of the backup or does it include any archived logs also?

Provided Answers: 5
    You should be able to use the "include logs" option this way. The problem is that during the backup, DB2 might determine that it needs to include an archived log and thus needs to retrieve it. Like I said, I do not know tsm, but it might have a problem trying to retrieve a log file while it is backing up the same server. Using this method, it will try the retrieve from disk first, then tsm if that fails, although retrieving from disk almost never fails.

Andy

Hi,
    maybe this can help:
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...ageID=14017064
    Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Thanks Andy and grofaty

I *think* I have figured out the problem about the backups failing occasionally.

The problem is that the archive logs even though go to disk but eventually ending up on the same tape where backup is being written to. So backup fails when the tape is trying to read and write at the same time.

So I think allocating a different storage pool to backups could help solve the issue.

Thanks again