Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Type converstion function

I have the amost same routine in two separte forms. One work and one doesn't. I really need help on this one.

The purpose of this routine is to set a flag to true in a user table so that the list box will list the correct users which have been selected.

This ONE WORK -- It sets the PrintFlagapplications field to True only for the records in the list box (lstCurrentapplicationsRes)

Dim i As Byte

For i = 0 To lstCurrentApplicationsRes.ListCount
    CurrentDb.Execute ("UPDATE tblCobbCountyContact SET PrintFlagApplications = True WHERE CobbCountyContactID='" & lstCurrentApplicationsRes.ItemData(i) & "';")
    Next

This ONE doesn't work -- It set the PrintFlagOther field to True for all the records in tblOtherContact table. It seems that the CurrentDb.Execute ignore the condition. The list box lstCurrentOtherRes does display the correct chosen record.

Dim i As Byte

For i = 0 To lstCurrentOtherRes.ListCount
    CurrentDb.Execute ("UPDATE tblOtherContact SET PrintFlagOther = true WHERE 'OtherContactID = lstCurrentOtherRes.ItemData(i) ' ;")
    Next

The only different in these two VBA code is that CobbCountyContactID is a text field and OtherContactID is a "autonumber" field. They both are the primary key in their respective table.

Please help me.
    Last edited by sweetmail; 01-12-08 at 17:26.

I did this testing. It works. Can someone help me how to make lstCurrentOtherRes.Itemdata(i) be a interger? thanks a lot.

Dim i As Byte
    'CurrentDb.Execute ("UPDATE tblOtherContact SET PrintFlagOther = true WHERE 'OtherContactID = & lstCurrentOtherRes.ItemData(i) &' ;")
    CurrentDb.Execute ("UPDATE tblOtherContact SET PrintFlagOther = true where OtherContactID = 4 ;")

Next

Try:
    CurrentDb.Execute ("UPDATE tblOtherContact SET PrintFlagOther = True WHERE OtherContactID = " & lstCurrentOtherRes.ItemData(i))
    RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP, ac07, ac10 - WinXP Pro, Win7 Pro
    Please reply to this forum so all may learn.

Thank you RuralGuy.

It is still not working, I have this error message

Run-time error '3075';

Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'OtherContactID='.

Please help.

RuralGuy's suggestion should work unless .ItemData(i) is a string value instead of an integer value. If it's a string value...

CurrentDb.Execute ("UPDATE tblOtherContact SET PrintFlagOther = True WHERE OtherContactID = ' " & lstCurrentOtherRes.ItemData(i) & " ' ") 'Note: I put spaces between ' and " to show syntax.

But you may want to check to make sure lstCurrentOtherRes.ItemData(i) is returning the correct value (try doing a msgbox lstCurrentOtherRes.ItemData(i) in the line before the CurrentDb.Execute to see what value it is.)

You can also try
    Dim ID as integer
    ID = lstCurrentOtherRes.ItemData(i)
    msgbox ID
    CurrentDb.Execute ("UPDATE tblOtherContact SET PrintFlagOther = True WHERE OtherContactID = " & ID & "")
    or
    CurrentDb.Execute ("UPDATE tblOtherContact SET PrintFlagOther = -1 WHERE OtherContactID = " & ID & "")

Make sure OtherContactID is spelled correctly also.

I also think this...Dim i As Byte should be Dim i as integer
    Last edited by pkstormy; 01-13-08 at 01:37.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Paul Kohn

Thank you so much for writing but it still didn't work. I change the OtherContactID to be a "text" field instead of "autonumber". I have to go and change all the tables and fix all the relationship. All in all, it works now. Not really what I want but after spending a whole day on this problem. I kind of given up.

Dim i As Byte

CurrentDb.Execute ("UPDATE tblOtherContact SET PrintFlagOther = true WHERE OtherContactID = '" & lstCurrentOtherRes.ItemData(i) & "' ;")

Next

thank you all for helping.

Not sure I would have changed the autonumber field to a text field. I might reconsider doing this and go back to the autonumber field. If you have a backup of the mdb, I would try changing the Dim i as Byte to Dim i as integer and possibly try that (I'd be curious if that would work.) There are also other options verses the CurrentDb.Execute command which does the Update on the table (ex: opening a recordset and looping through it updating the values.) I usually open a recordset verses the CurrentDb.Execute as I've never had problems opening a recordset and updating the values but the CurrentDb.Execute should work with the correct syntax (although I've had similar problems as yours with CurrentDb.Execute and the syntax or mismatch of values.) Guess that's why I've gotten in the habit of opening a recordset and looping through it verses the CurrentDb.Execute.

What value was returned when you put in a msgbox lstCurrentOtherRes.ItemData(i) before the CurrentDb.Execute? Or what value was returned if you
    Dim ID as integer
    msgbox ID

Keep in mind that a msgbox XX is your friend and can be very helpful in deducing problems. I will often do this in places where I think the value returned is questionable.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 01-13-08 at 03:38.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

For i = 0 To lstCurrentOtherRes.ListCount - 1

meanwhile, you can probably let the SQL engine take the strain and run a single UPDATE rather than your loop-of-UPDATEs scheme.

UPDATE blah blah blah WHERE OtherContactID IN (.....

the IN expression will depend on how you are generating your list .rowsource

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

This give me error when there is no record (Access complain about Null) When I do have record, it does give me the right number

Dim ID as integer
    msgbox ID

I have also try this msgbox before the updata statement

Msgbox "This is" &lstCurrentOtherRes.ItemData(i)

It did give me the correct information.

I do have a backup mdb and will try the record set suggestion this afternoon.

izyride, would you give me an example. My lstCurrentOtherRes box get the names from a query off a table tblOtherRes.

UPDATE blah blah blah WHERE OtherContactID IN (.....

the IN expression will depend on how you are generating your list .rowsource

thank you both of you.

I totally agreed that I should keep my OtherContactID be an autonumber.
    Thank you much.

please post the SQL of the query providing .recordsource for lstCurrentOtherRes

izy

LATER: whilst we are waitig for your .rowsource SQL, here is an example:

if your.rowsource is

SELECT someID, this, that FROM tblOtherRes WHERE someCondition
    ...and it works for your list
    ...and your want to run the UPDATE for all IDs in your list (which is implicit in your loop attempt)

then have a go with:

strSQL "UPDATE tblOtherContact SET PrintFlagOther = True WHERE OtherContactID IN (SELECT someID FROM tblOtherRes WHERE someCondition)"
    currentdb.execute strSQL

note that you only want the ID field from your .rowsource query - other fields are dropped.

this might not be the most efficient route in the universe, but it has got to be better than looping through a list running an UPDATE for each list item.
    Last edited by izyrider; 01-13-08 at 11:14.

izy, thank you. I am not home yet and as soon as I do, will let you know how it goes. thank you you'all so much for helping.

This is the SQL code for the lstCurrentOtherRes, an unbound list box in the frmOtherResAB form.

SELECT tblOtherRes.OtherContactID, tblOtherRes.OtherResID, tblOtherRes.ChangeControlFormDetailsID
    FROM tblOtherContact INNER JOIN tblOtherRes ON tblOtherContact.OtherContactID = tblOtherRes.OtherContactID
    WHERE (((tblOtherRes.ChangeControlFormDetailsID)=[Forms]![frmChangeOfControlForm]![ChangeControlFormDetailsID]));

This is the code I run in the Form (frmOtherResAB) to check this unbound list box so that the names with PrintFlagOther set to true will be display on the selected list box.

Dim i As Byte
    CurrentDb.Execute ("UPDATE tblOtherContact SET PrintFlagOther = True WHERE 'OtherContactID = " & lstCurrentOtherRes.ItemData(i) & " ' ")
    Next

It set the PrintFlagOther to True for all the records in the tblOtherContact.

Izy, I am testing you suggestion.

thanks
    Last edited by sweetmail; 01-13-08 at 16:26.

Hello Izy, how do I define this strsql. The following produce a complie error: sub or function not defined.

strsql "UPDATE tblOtherContact SET PrintFlagOther = True WHERE OtherContactID IN (SELECT tblOtherRes.OtherContactID FROM tblOtherRes WHERE ((tblOtherRes.ChangeControlFormDetailsID)=[Forms]![frmChangeOfControlForm]![ChangeControlFormDetailsID]))"

CurrentDb.Execute strsql

thanks

Dear all,

I am happy to report that with all of your help I have found the code that I need.

Dim i As Byte

If lstCurrentOtherRes.ListCount >= 1 Then
    For i = 0 To lstCurrentOtherRes.ListCount - 1

CurrentDb.Execute ("UPDATE tblOtherContact SET PrintFlagOther = true WHERE OtherContactID=" & lstCurrentOtherRes.ItemData(i))
    Next
    End If

thanks for all your help.
    Last edited by sweetmail; 01-14-08 at 00:22.

Code:
    strSQL "UPDATE tblOtherContact SET PrintFlagOther = True WHERE OtherContactID IN (SELECT OtherContactID FROM tblOtherRes WHERE ChangeControlFormDetailsID = " & Forms!frmChangeOfControlForm!ChangeControlFormDetailsID & ")"
    izy