Question Which forum is for Pick / jBase / Universe / Unidata etc

Hi Folks, I used to post on here a long while ago. Now I'm back again and the forums have changed around. So which forum should I be checking for Pick / jBase / Universe / Unidata / D3 / R83 and related items?

Also, is anyone familiar with ETL or System Builder? If so, can they recommend any tutorials on those products?

Quote Originally Posted by rockingred
    So which forum should I be checking for Pick / jBase / Universe / Unidata / D3 / R83 and related items?
    Other
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Thanks r937.
    When it rains, it pours.

Coo - I went for a job a year or so ago and had to look up about pick & universe & unidata. After looking into it I decided I didn't want it - you can't teach this old dog new database paradigms.

Pick (in any of it's flavours) is fairly easy to use. The problem is that it hasn't been well promoted in the past and is slowly fading into oblivion. I honestly wouldn't recommend anyone to choose it as the best future for a programming position, much as I love it.
    When it rains, it pours.

rocking, are you learning any of the more popular database engines? It looks like you have years of experience, but not in the high-demand areas.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by rockingred
    Pick (in any of it's flavours) is fairly easy to use. The problem is that it hasn't been well promoted in the past and is slowly fading into oblivion.
    Yea vous on that. I was a PROC-tologist myself, once upon a lifetime ago.

The biggest problem with promotion was that for years upper management (esentially Dick) refused to allow Pick to be promoted. He had his own reasons for that, and he couldn't be swayed. I think that decision essentially spelled doom for Pick, even though the product itself was technically brilliant.

Switching from the "data cowboy" approach that Pick encourages to one of the more structured database architectures is hard, but it is pretty much a requirement today.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    rocking, are you learning any of the more popular database engines? It looks like you have years of experience, but not in the high-demand areas.
    I may have to do that. Which do you recommend as being best performers and most desired?
    When it rains, it pours.

The PICK database design is used by jBase which is used in the Temenos T24 Banking system, one of the most widely used worldwide so is far from 'fading into oblivion'.

Jbase can use database drivers to store data in an underlying relational database if required. This is to satisfy demand from IT department heads with a no-one-got-fired-for-buying-Oracle mentality. I'm sure this would make Dick Pick turn in his grave.

There is a jbase Google group to answer the original poster's question.
    Last edited by asdfgh; 08-27-09 at 14:32.