Unanswered: Remote Access to Individual Databases

I have SQL Server running on our web server located at a managed hosting site at Rackspace. I've got some developers who are going to be editing various sites and will need access to specific databases. Is there something built in to MSSQL, or a third party app, which will allow for this kind of remote access? They will be doing everything from restructuring these DB's to just inputting data.

Thanks!

Chris Sanders

Provided Answers: 54
    Yes.

-PatP

Ok, now that I've gotten the orneriness out of my system, I can give you a meaningful reply!

Microsoft SQL Server has a rich security system. It takes a bit of effort to grok (really understand) the security model, but once you understand it you can manage access any way you want.

-PatP

Any documentation out there relating to this specifically? For a guy that is not very SQL savvy (nor has the desire to be)

Click the link (the underlined words "Security system") in my previous post. It will take you to the discussion of what you need to understand.

-PatP

I saw the link and I definitely appreciate you taking the time to post it. However, I'm really not looking for something that in depth. I am more or less looking for a simple guide on setting up remote access to databases. I don't have a lot of desire to be familiar with the entire security model.

I usually call it a complete suicide when someone wants to open remote access to anything without _really_ understanding what they are doing. It's a risk, an open door, an invitation. Well, call it what you want

It's perfectly possible to do what you want. Actually, you can give the developers access to the SQL Server through MS SQL Management Studio. It's all a question of going to the configuration manager and allowing the remote connection on a given port number and opening that port on the firewalls... As for SQL Server if you are going for the simple version just give away a user to each with permissions set on a need to have basis.

Again, I can't stress enough, how "doing things just like that" can get you into serious server integrety / security problems

I don't mean any offense by this, but what you want is very dangerous. In order to control security, you MUST understand security... I don't see that as optional.

If you have multiple developers, make one of them that you trust responsible for the database (effectively making them your DBA). Don't try to go for a "simple answer" that will bite you.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissanders
    I am more or less looking for a simple guide
    Do you want a spoon?

...Seriously, don't implement something until you fully understand the impact of doing so.
    The IT industry doesn't need another trigger happy DBA.
    George
    Home | Blog