Unanswered: Problem with IF condition

Hi,
    My project is in MS Access 2002.Its on Inventory
    In which I have one form, which I used for Shipping Data entry.

I am using this code

Code:
    Private Sub Enter_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_Enter_Click
        Dim dbLocation
        Dim sSQL
        Dim sSQL1
        dbLocation = "\\Cpfpidc01\FINISHED GOODS\Inventory.mdb"
        Set objADO = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
        objADO.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & dbLocation

sSQL = "UPDATE PRODUCTION SET SHIPPEDDATE = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![SHIPPEDDATE] & "',ShippedQuantity = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![ShippedQuantity] & "',QTYONHAND = ((PRODUCTION.QTYONHAND)-('" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![ShippedQuantity] & "')),PackgingSlipNo = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![PackgingSlipNo] & "',Location = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![Location_Combo] & "',Notes = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![Notes] & "',Status = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![Location_Combo] & "' WHERE PalletNo='" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![PalletNo_Combo] & "'"

objADO.Execute (sSQL)
        MsgBox "All The Details saved Successfully."
        objADO.Close
        Set objADO = Nothing
    Exit_Enter_Click:
        Exit Sub
    Err_Enter_Click:
        MsgBox Err.Description
        Resume Exit_Enter_Click
    End Sub

Now in this code I want to put like this

Code:
    If((Forms!ShippingEntry!ShippedQuantity) = (PRODUCTION.TTlQuantity)) Then
    {
        sSQL = "UPDATE PRODUCTION SET SHIPPEDDATE = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![SHIPPEDDATE] & "',ShippedQuantity = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![ShippedQuantity] & "',QTYONHAND = ((PRODUCTION.QTYONHAND)-('" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![ShippedQuantity] & "')),PackgingSlipNo = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![PackgingSlipNo] & "',Location = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![Location_Combo] & "',Notes = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![Notes] & "',Status = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![Location_Combo] & "' WHERE PalletNo='" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![PalletNo_Combo] & "'"

objADO.Execute (sSQL)
    }
    else 
    {
        sSQL1 = "UPDATE PRODUCTION SET SHIPPEDDATE = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![SHIPPEDDATE] & "',ShippedQuantity = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![ShippedQuantity] & "',QTYONHAND = ((PRODUCTION.QTYONHAND)-('" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![ShippedQuantity] & "')),PackgingSlipNo = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![PackgingSlipNo] & "'',Notes = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![Notes] & "',Status = 'TOBESHIPPED' WHERE PalletNo='" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![PalletNo_Combo] & "'"

objADO.Execute (sSQL1)
    }
    But when i did that it shows error that

Object Require

What to do?
    I think when I used Condition in IF, it require some recordset, which I not used in my code.
    So please help me.

I believe that
    Forms!ShippingEntry!ShippedQuantity

should be
    Forms!ShippingEntry.ShippedQuantity
    or
    nz(Forms!ShippingEntry.ShippedQuantity,0)

You may get the error if the form is not open or there is no current record.

NO its not working.
    its still showing

object require.

Mine form is already open.

... = (PRODUCTION.TTlQuantity)) Then
    where is the object PRODUCTION defined and what is it?

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

That's the problem.
    PRODUCTION is a Table.
    I want to compare field of a table to field of a loaded form.
    I don't know how to do this?

ahhh!
    Access is giving an accurate err message.

are you doing this in a loop or just the once?

once:
    browse help for DLOOKUP() and see if that will give you your TTIQuantity

loop:
    you probably need a recordset: can't suggest more without more info on what you are trying to achieve.

izy

I want to do this things.
    I have one table(PRODUCTION) of Data Entry in which I enter the all details about product.
    now I have one form to fill it(DataEntry).
    but I have another form for Shipping Entry.
    So when I enter data in that form when product shipped then it will run query and update table(PRODUCTION).
    Now in that update process I want to enter the QTYONHAND.Where,
    QTYONHAND=((TTlQuantity)-(ShippedQuantity))

Now everything is going good when we shipped all Quantity we have and, so QTYONHAND=0 and status=SHIPPED will set in table.
    but when we shipped some quantity, instead of all, then I have to enter whatever remaing quantity in QTYONHAND and status=TOBESHIPPED ,when TTlQuantity>ShippedQuantity.
    So I want to put this Condition using IF statement.

I am using it in IF statement.

In that I want to compare two values one from PRODUCTION table and other from Loded Form ShippingEntry.
    when I used
    If((Forms!ShippingEntry!ShippedQuantity) = (PRODUCTION.TTlQuantity)) Then
    at that time it will show error.
    So I think I already define Forms!ShippingEntry!ShippedQuantity But Accees don't understand what PRODUCTION.TTlQuantity bcz i didn't define it.
    So how to define it over here?
    Do u have any solution or I have to use Recordset for that?
    Thanks For ur Reply.
    Last edited by billy_pit; 01-18-08 at 15:14.

fine.

but which TTIQuantity in the table
    do have a go with DLOOKUP

think of DLOOKUP (in fact all Dxxxxx domain functions) as a strange species of SQL that is guaranteed to return a single value (or NULL) so that Access knows it has a reasonable chance of sticking the return value in a variable.

the basic construction is remarkably simple:

Dlookup("SELECT one Field without the word SELECT", "FROM one table without the word FROM", "WHERE as usual but without the word WHERE")

interpretation of the return value can be problematic: if more than one record matches the WHERE criteria, the return is one of the matching values but you must not depend on it always being the same value

Dxxxx() "Domain functions" are slow, but an isolated Dxxxxx() does no harm when you need it. If you find yourself resorting to Dxxxxx() inside a loop there is almost certainly a better route.

so you have:
    If Forms!ShippingEntry!ShippedQuantity = Dlookup("TTlQuantity", "Production", "you have not said what criteria you want") Then

done!

izy
    Last edited by izyrider; 01-18-08 at 15:41. Reason: changed one Dxxx to Dlookup so that it makes sense!

If (Nz(Forms!ShippingEntry!ShippedQuantity, 0) < (DLookup("TTlQuantity", "PRODUCTION", PalletNo = " & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![PalletNo_Combo] & "))) Then

sSQL1 = "UPDATE PRODUCTION SET SHIPPEDDATE = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![SHIPPEDDATE] & "',ShippedQuantity = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![ShippedQuantity] & "',QTYONHAND = ((PRODUCTION.QTYONHAND)-('" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![ShippedQuantity] & "')),PackgingSlipNo = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![PackgingSlipNo] & "',Notes = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![Notes] & "',Status = 'TOBESHIPPED' WHERE PalletNo='" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![PalletNo_Combo] & "'"

objADO.Execute (sSQL1)

Else

objADO.Execute (sSQL)
    End If
    MsgBox "All The Details saved Successfully."

objADO.Close
    Set objADO = Nothing

Now its not going in If.every time its going in else only.I think I made some mistake in format

yup!

the Dxxxx() parameters live in quotes (and bizarrely Dxxxx is more tricky with numerics than date/string).

have a go with:

If (Nz(Forms!ShippingEntry!ShippedQuantity, 0) < DLookup("TTlQuantity", "PRODUCTION", "PalletNo = " & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![PalletNo_Combo]) Then

izy

oooops - my parenthesis error:. that should have been:
    If Nz(Forms!ShippingEntry!ShippedQuantity, 0) < DLookup("TTlQuantity", "PRODUCTION", "PalletNo = " & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![PalletNo_Combo]) Then

izy

Talking

If (Nz([Forms]![ShippingEntry]![ShippedQuantity], 0) < (DLookup("val(TTlQuantity)", "PRODUCTION", "PalletNo = '" & [Forms]![ShippingEntry]![PalletNo_Combo] & "'"))) Then

Finaly I got it.
    Thank You very very much buddy.
    God bless u!

it actually looks more symmetric with string/date - you just know you must close the ' or the #, but with numerics it always looks odd.

super that it works for you.
    ...and so it is TV time for me.

izy

Cool

Enjoy ur time watching TV.
    U deserve it.
    Same here also I am also going home now.and its play time.
    cya

Its Party time.