Unanswered: Formula Displayed in specific Cell instead of Value

I am running into a problem where I update a formula in a cell that is linking to another cell with absolute reference ($) using F4 and the Formula (='tab'!$A$1) is displayed instead of the value.

It is like the Ctrl + ` has been hit but only for that cell and it can't be turned off.

If I re-paste-link it is fixed but that is taking a lot of time.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

See if any of these do the trick:

Press F9 Calculates formulas that have changed since the last calculation, and formulas dependent on them, in all open workbooks. If a workbook is set for automatic calculation, you do not need to press F9 for calculation.

Press SHIFT+F9 Calculates formulas that have changed since the last calculation, and formulas dependent on them, in the active worksheet.

Press CTRL+ALT+F9 Calculates all formulas in all open workbooks, regardless of whether they have changed since last time or not.

Press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+F9 Rechecks dependent formulas, and then calculates all formulas in all open workbooks, regardless of whether they have changed since last time or not.
    When it rains, it pours.

And as a last resort, sometimes cells cannot be corrected. In that case, copy the formula so it is handy. Then go to a blank cell and drag it to this position and when it asks to replace, do so. Then copy the formula into that newly positioned cell. Works every time.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums