Unanswered: Can Access 2007 open an application and pull tables from it?

Hello,

I am running Vista Premium with Access 2007

I use a point of sale system called TeleTracker. All of my company's data is stored and accessed remotely on the TeleTracker servers. We login to the application and it opens a connection between our local system and the servers where all of our databases are kept. I need to know if its possible for access to run the teletracker software, input a user name and password and then import a specified report (available in .xml and .xls).

I have no idea what im doing except I can export the reports to excel, create a basic database with the table inside of it and generate queries and reports based off the saved info. I need a way to get the up-to-date data automatically imported, formated, and where the new records are added and duplicates are not created.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me a point in the right direction. Or toss me a link.

Im open to suggestions and criticisms. If you think this is way over my head let me know so i dont go insane trying to make it work.

Thanks,

Jake B.
    Last edited by senseijake; 01-19-08 at 05:49.

Provided Answers: 59
    Providing you have access to teh data on the server,ie you have a client license to the server, and the authors of the software have setup securtiy permissions to allow you to do that then it should be possible to get to the raw data.

its possible for access to issue shell commands to talk to other applications. however without knowing anything about teletracker I'm pretty certain Access will not be able to 'run the teletracker software'.

so you have two choices, as I see it
    manually run the extract, and then do the re-processing in Access or wahtever
    OR
    Assuming that teletracker have left open mechanism's for you to access its application data develop an application in Access. But unless you are reasonably experienced that could be a daunting task.

thank you for the honest reply. any suggestions on where to start learning how to build an application in access?

There are plenty of books to look at. Wrox makes a couple of them, take a look on Amazon or at Barnes & Nobles, Borders, or another book store. Try this book, it'll do what you want through Access But you also have the ability to try and program using XML, ASP.Net, InfoPath, or almost any other program out there to make it more 'user-friendly' if you're looking for a web-enabled system.

right now user friendly would be best i think. so i can at least get some experience with writing VBA code. Ill have to check out borders tonight for that book. I really appreciate the information you have given me and hopefully ill get everything to work together in time. I never knew you could program with infopath any benefits over access?