Unanswered: Can you identify this data type?

Can anyone tell me what one calls the following form of data transfer and where one looks to convert it to a column based format.

The first four digits describe a parameter, the following digits are it's value.
    It looks like this:
    &&
    0140122 <0140="Gas", 122=how much>
    01393655 <0139="Depth", 3655= how deep>
    01383640 <0138="Bit Depth", 3640= how deep>
    !!
    I need this to look like this

Gas Depth Bit Depth
    122 3655 3640

I will later need to send data out in the previous form.

Thanks in advance for any insights you may share

it is generally called pivoting

i don't think microsoft access can do this with its pivot query facility

will there only ever be those three particular columns? gas, depth, bit depth?

or are there other codes?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

yes, there will be about 20 parameters or so(that we will use, there are overa hundred we will not use), some from a provider via tcp or serial port, a few we will generate and add to the "stream". there are some vendors willing to sell a solution, but I need to learn to handle all aspects of this project.
    I've seen "pivot table". Is that what will "strip off" and decode the 4 digit pre-fix, leaving the values?
    Can you advise where one can learn this sort of file transfer?
    You may need to know that these datum are real time from sensors and that I intend to "filter" to a "by the foot" file and a "by the minute" .

I feel if I am simply nudged in the right direction I can learn enough and perhaps not pester the pros so much.

Thanks Richard

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    it is generally called pivoting

i don't think microsoft access can do this with its pivot query facility
    Might you be able to if you can include the MID() function in the join condition to a lookup table Rudy?

Also to OP - assuming you can change this, you would be well advised to not store your data like this.

I don't think this is a standard format that can easily be converted. Before I feel comfortable making any suggestions, I have a couple of questions.

1. The 'parameters' and their values, do these relate to anything? Are the number of parameters fixed or variable. Fixed meaning, every object has a Gas, Depth and Bit Depth setting. Variable meaning, one object has a gas setting, another has gas and depth, and a third may have all three.

2. Is the data in a file? Are the && and !! header and trailer values?

hi wellsightdata

Re your PM - to clarify my second point - your data does not currently comply with first normal form i.e. the data in each column is not atomic *. If this is not familiar to you then please read this excellent link that covers the fundamentals of relational database design, paying particular attention to the section on normalisation:
    http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql...se-design.html

* I've just realised that the article doesn't I think, mention atomicity. The point is that each item of data should be about one thing and one thing only. A very simple, snappy phrase that covers this is "one fact in one place". I like this phrase so much I use a variation of it for my location above. You have two facts - the parameter and the value - in one column. These should be in two columns. Everything from then on is very simple indeed.