Unanswered: Help MS SQL 2000 Server Error

Hi guys im new on this Forum
    and a NOOB @ SQL

Recently one of our clients had power interruptions and they are now getting this error on there SQL. Wondering if you guys can give some input here.

Unfortunately there is no Backups availible!

Error is as Follows:

Error 9003,severity 20 state 1
    (9:307:1) passed to log scan in database 'model' is invalid

Due to this the ISA server2004 wont start either.

Any Help please?

That error never occured to me and I'm not a SQL guru either. That said, the best I can do is search Google. I found this link about someone that had that problem on a SQL Server 2000 database detach... Maybe it is of some help to you...

Link: http://www.ureader.com/message/943908.aspx

PS: Be advised this link poped during a VERY quick Google search and I have no knowlege, what so ever, about how to solve this issue. Please follow any instructions on that link at your own risk

Thanks for the link but not what im looking for

However I found this link

http://www.webservertalk.com/message411156.html

exact same secnario

Does anyone know what they mean by "Collation"???

. Stop SQL server (if started)
    2. Copy the .MDF and .LDF files (Belongs to MODEL database) to a different
    ent location
    3. From a different SQL Serevr copy the Model databases .MDF and .LDF files
    to the same folder. Overwrite the old files. Ensure that both servers in
    same collation. This is a must.

4. Now start the SQL server.

JPV, you should start using Google more often...

SQL Server Collation Fundamentals
    Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000 supports several collations. A collation encodes the rules governing the proper use of characters for either a language, such as Greek or Polish, or an alphabet, such as Latin1_General (the Latin alphabet used by western European languages).

Each SQL Server collation specifies three properties:

The sort order to use for Unicode data types (nchar, nvarchar, and ntext). A sort order defines the sequence in which characters are sorted, and the way characters are evaluated in comparison operations.

The sort order to use for non-Unicode character data types (char, varchar, and text).

The code page used to store non-Unicode character data.

Note You cannot specify the equivalent of a code page for the Unicode data types (nchar, nvarchar, and ntext). The double-byte bit patterns used for Unicode characters are defined by the Unicode standard and cannot be changed.
    in http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...3(SQL.80).aspx

Thanks Diabolic

No I Understand that better,just the problem still being the IT company that set it up originally I can't get hold off

So it would be pointless for me installing SQL server 2000 on a diffrent machine creating databases, and copying them back to the "problamatic" machine and overwriting them? since we wont know the "collation" if i understand this all correctly?

I don't know if it's the same in SQL Server 2000. What I can tell you is that in SS2K5 if you right click a database, in the Management Studio Object Explorer, and you click properties you will be able to see the database default collation.

Furthermore, there are queries that let you know just that without an interface

Provided Answers: 11
    Is the SQL Service even starting up? From the error message, it looks like the model database got corrupted. This would be very bad, but is survivable.

No its not starting up at all when u start the service it starts up and then stops automaticlly.

OK. This should probably be a Microsoft professional services ticket, but here is what I would try. At all points, make sure you know where the original files are. never overwrite them.

1) Get your SQL 2000 CD. Look for the files model.mdf and modellog.ldf.
    2) Copy these files to your server's harddrive.
    3) Right click -> properties, make sure they are not read-only.
    4) Save the original model.mdf and modellog.ldf from your data directory
    5) move the model.mdf and modellog.ldf files from the CD to your data directory.
    6) Cross fingers
    7) Start SQL Service.

Provided Answers: 54
    Or you could just let the SQL Server 2000 install run from the CD, and select the "repair" option. That will fix most (but not all) problems of this sort.

-PatP

@MCrowley

Thanks so much for your wonderfull advice and to the rest for contributing to this thread.

I followed all Mcrowley's steps and the SQL is up and running and ISA 2004 server aswell!!!

Thanks so Much Guys!!!
    Regards
    JP

Wait until Pat gives MCowley your address so he can send you the bill

Will the repair option go through and apply SP updates? I have to admit, this approach would only work for the model database. If msdb or master was corrupt, then the recovery would be considerably harder.

Oh, and JPV: Start backing up your databases. The only one you can ignore is tempdb.

LOL @ DIABOLIC ya the bill....will be scary...

Im gonna setup backups for all 3 there servers since they dont have any backups.

Once again thanks for all your input.

Regards
    JP