Unanswered: Need help with query that uses a function

I'd really appreciate some help with the below situation. Because of the sensitivity of our app I can't post the actual query with names but here's a generalized one that matchs:

Select Distinct B1.col1, B1.col2 B1.col3, A1.col5,
    fcn_funcname(B1.col1, B1.col2, B1.col3, A1.col5) as my_col
    From Table1 A1,
    Table2 B1
    Where A1.col1 = B1.col1
    And A1.col4 = B1.col4
    And B1.col6 = 'XXXX'

This query retrieves 10k rows in ~100 MS without the function but takes 18 seconds with the function. I'm using the function to retrieve the last column (my_col) because there are multiple rows of this column that match the criteria of each distinct combination of the 1st 4 columns (B1.col1, B1.col2, B1.col3, A1.col5) and that won't work. What I do in the function is create a comma-delimited list of the values that match and return them as one value, which I then use to drive an WHERE IN clause in a subsequent query. I've used this strategy with great success in another case when I've just sent one variable as input to a function and the "lookup table" was something entirely different from the tables in the driver query. I think a root of my current problem may be that the query in the function uses the same two tables as the driver query and contains 4 input variables to the Where clause. Heres the code in the function:

CREATE OR REPLACE function ALPHA_USER.fcn_SCC2_formrowid
    (in_col1 varchar2,
    in_col2 varchar2,
    in_col3 date,
    in_col5 date)
    return varchar2 is

sql_statement := 'Select Distinct TO_CHAR(col4) As my_col
    From Table1 A, Table2 B
    Where A.col1 = :in_col1
    And B.col2 = :in_col2
    And B.col6 = 'XXXX'
    And B.col4 = A.col4
    And B.col3 = :in_col3
    And A.col5 = :in_col5
    And A.col1 = B.col1';

I'm using Dynamic SQL to build the query and I tried to use bind variables to make it faster. FYI, I know I could retrieve the function info by using a simple 2nd query but cold fusion isn't great at making 10K individual db calls in a timely fashion. This is my 1st ever DB forums post so please overlook any cultural or procedural shortcomings in this post.

You could try

Select Distinct B1.col1, 
    From Table1 A1, 
         Table2 B1
        (Select Distinct TO_CHAR(col4) As my_col, A.col1, B.col2, B.col3, A.col5 
         From Table1 A, 
              Table2 B 
         Where B.col6 = 'XXXX' 
           And B.col4 = A.col4 
           And A.col1 = B.col1') C1
    Where A1.col1 = B1.col1
    And   A1.col4 = B1.col4
    And   B1.col6 = 'XXXX' 
    And   B1.col1 = C1.col1
    And   B1.col2 = C1.col2
    And   B1.col3 = C1.col3
    And   A1.col5 = C1.col5

Thanks for answering. When I run your query I get 26k + rows. This seems to represent one row for each distinct combination of all 5 fields in the main query. The reason I was using the function is because there are 1 to many results of my_col for each distinct set of columns 1-4 and I want/need to get a single value returned that represents all of the 1 to many iterations in one data string. My function code is taking each value I get for any distinct combination of columns 1-4, packing them in a comma-delimited varchar2 variable (ex: '1234','5678','0101'), and sending them back in the main query. I'm then using this string to supply the IN value for a subsequent WHERE clause. Have I ran your query incorrectly? If you have any other ideas they're welcomed.

With fake data, it's kind of tough to help. I was only showing you how to convert a FUNCTION over to a subselect, which should increase the speed in which the SQL executes. As far as 26K goes, I don't know if that's too many records, too few, or if you incorrectly converted the function into a subselect.

You could try pseudocoding it out with a small table, adding data, and then show what you expect to get from that data. That's usually a good approach when trying to communicate hypothetical data.