Unanswered: Setting environmental variables for OMF

I think this is a real easy one...
    O/S: win2k3 64bit, Oracle 10g 64bit 10.2.0.1.0, ORACLE_HOME= d:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1
    What should the environmental variable ORACLE_BASE be set to??
    I think it should be set to d:\oracle - is this correct?

This is on a new server built yesterday and i'd like to try out OMF for the first time. Previously i've been running 3 other oracle servers (all also 10gR2, 2 upgraded from 9i) and none of them (i've just double-checked) have ever had that environmental variable set which is why i'm not sure.
    Looking on the net a lot of windows guys are saying theirs is set to somewhere on the C drive, rather than D drive, but i'm thinking this must be for oracle clients or something? My C drive is the system partition (smallish), whereas D drive is for all the data. So i'm certain oracle_base should be somewhere on D.
    I'm still trying to understand why the setup doesn't set these variables or even tell you that you might like to set them yourself, doesn't everyone need to set these?
    Oracle customer satisfaction rang me the other day to see if i was still enjoying my oracle experience, so i asked them - they said they'd get back to me - i know they never will but i'd honestly i'd like to know, to me it feels like they missed out part of the setup. Maybe that's a windows point of view.

Seems i can get away with not setting this variable. I've installed oracle and created database and all seems to be well.
    Looking at the created file structure now i think ORACLE_BASE must be set to d:\oracle\product\10.2.0.
    Oracle documentation for windows says: 'ORACLE_BASE is the root of the Oracle directory tree. If you install an OFA-compliant database using Oracle Universal Installer defaults, then ORACLE_BASE is X:\oracle where X is any hard drive (for example, C:\oracle).'
    Which is why i thought it must be d:\oracle. Now i'm sure it's really d:\oracle\product\10.2.0
    Can anyone confirm this?... i guess this isn't too important tho since it's working, i'm gonna leave the variable unset in windows....

Provided Answers: 1
    Seems i can get away with not setting this variable
    You can, in the sense that Oracle will use the default unless you tell it differently. As you have installed the software to the default directory the default ORACLE_BASE setting is OK.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

and could you tell me what that default setting is?

ORACLE_BASE = the starting directory for the Oracle installation, so if you've installed to 'd:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1' then it would be 'd:\oracle'
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

BTW, as you're using w2k3, you can find out what the various settings are by looking in the registry.

Hi cis_groupie

i think this doesn't matter too much cos everything is working - for now anyway - so if you don't have time to answer this it doesn't matter....

registry thinks that oracle_base is d:\oracle\product\10.2.0
    the oui thinks that oracle_base is d:\oracle\product\10.2.0
    oracle documentation says that oracle_base is d:\oracle

can i assume in this case that oracle documentation is either incorrect or out of date? I am absolutely sure it is set to d:\oracle\product\10.2.0 cos when multiplexing my control files i set one of them to {oracle_base}/oradata/{DB_NAME}/control02.ctl and it created it in d:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\prod3\control02.c tl

Your registry & oui are correct.

Always go with what your server is telling you. (When the documentation was written the author didn't know about you or your server or how you set up your server.)