Unanswered: SQL Server from.....excel

I need to create a "Master Customer Database" of all our mailing lists. There are about 60-70,000 total contacts in about 25 separate Excel spreadsheets. Most formatted like this: First/Last/Company/Address/City/State/Zip/Phone/List/e-Mail.

There are duplicates on different lists, so for example the same name/address might be on 3 of the lists. I want to do away with the 25 separate lists and create one Master database. The Master database must eliminate all duplicate entries, yet still note where the duplicates came from. For example if John Smith was on the Goodyear list and the Michelin list, I only want one record of him, but I need to know he was on both lists for segmenting purposes. The Master list must have this field that shows what list/lists they came from so that they can be segmented and mailed/e-mailed/called, etc...

Questions:
    Do you think in this circumstance it would be better to create an Access Database? SQL database? Can these easily be segmented/filtered and exported to CSV/XLS/Word?

I'm just trying to figure out basic structure of the databeses. any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by jshurak; 01-23-08 at 14:16.

Provided Answers: 6
    sounds like a job for Access. SQL Server might be overkill here. both export easily to CSV and excel, but will require some kind of word merge to go into Word.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by jshurak
    Do you think in this circumstance it would be better to create an Access Database? SQL database? Can these easily be segmented/filtered and exported to CSV/XLS/Word?
    Probably Access unless you need to have more than one person using it. Also, with Access it's pretty easy to move to SQL Server if you outgrow .mdb files.

To export to Word, check the help files for mail merge. You basically have to enable a toolbar. The main issue I have with mail merges is that every time you open the Word document it bugs you about the database connection. Most users lose their mind when their word processor starts talking about ODBC connections.

Also, for many things, it's easier to do a report in Access than a mail merge in Word.

Oh, and the best strategy for importing to Access is generally:

Create your target table in Access, with no data.

Go to file / import, choose linked table. Link to the spreadsheet file.

Open up the design-view windows for the target table and the linked spreadsheet file. Make careful notes of the types of each column.

Make a new blank query. Change the type of the query to "Append." Muck about with the fields as much as you need.

Then click the run button in the toolbar. If you have *any* type mismatches or there are any values disallowed by indexes, Access won't tell you *what* failed, just that it did. It's really frustrating.

I'm just trying to figure out basic structure of the databeses. any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
    List of contacts? It'll probably be one big table. Address books don't need a lot of sophisticated relational stuff.