Advice - Which Database for web front end

hi there

i am looking for some advice on which database i should use with regards to optimising a web front end. here are few details that may be important!
    its for a school database, there are quite a few records (very roughly 50,000). it needs read and write access. i am very happy with access and have done web design with ASP (albeit about 10 years ago). are there any serious downsides to using access? if not i know i am happy this. ideally the software should be free, although we probably have alot of stuff we can use, we have a microsoft server.

thanks

pete

How many concurrent users use that database?

there are about 150 users, though at any one time i should suspect maybe 20.....a bit of a guess but i wouldn't have thought there would be more than that.
    thanks
    pete

Would you be comfortable migrating to SQL Server Express edition or MySql?

If you really have 20 concurrent users at this time I would strongly suggest getting away from access

yes i think i could probably manage SQL server migration (or mySQL)....i haven't done this before, but how hard can it be right???? :0) i have heard that the integration to mySQL from access is harder than SQL server, so i will probably use SQL server. thank you very much for your advice

Cheers

Pete