Thread: ADP Nightmare

Unanswered: ADP Nightmare

I hate access, I wish we could get away from it. I cant view employee pictures anymore, and every time theres and upgrade to a different version that means different problems. We are going to upgrade from 2003 to 2007. Good grief SQL doesnt need access, its too good for it anyways. Theres gotta be some different software out there that I can change too. Its just that I'm not a programmer. I keep hearing about Visual Fox Pro, that its easy but I have no idea. Anyone got any suggestions??

Provided Answers: 6
    run away from Foxpro. I was a wee lad when I had to fight that beast but it performs like a dog and has capacity issues. unless your environment is tiny (all of your table under 100000K rows) then I suggest you run. Of course all of my insight on the subject is 7 years old now. Computers and networks are faster.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 10
    FoxPro isn't all that bad; but I dont think it's as easy to learn as other languages, such as VB.NET, for example.

And personally I've never encountered speed issues with the system I maintain; which has 10M+ records on an SS2K backend

Desi, I've reponded to your other thread if youve not noticed yet... Silly; storing the images in the database like that!
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    which has 10M+ records on an SS2K backend
    no comprehendo. i thought foxpro was it's own backend which had a seperate file for each table. you can use it as just a front end tool now? i am getting old and falling to far behind.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

C#.NET is what our developers are using
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Think of it as Job Security
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 54
    Foxpro is very comparable to Access in many ways, but I think that FoxPro has a more robust scripting language, a far more powerful object model, and because it can be compiled to an EXE I see it as more secure. If I was given a choice between MS-Access and FoxPro for Desiree, I'd pick FoxPro.

Given a "wide open" chance to start again from the ground up and being allowed to choose my tool of choice (instead of just choosing between Access and FoxPro), I'd pick C# over either of them. C# has a bigger learning curve so it will take more time to get up to speed, but that time is a one time shot moving to an environment that she'll probably be able to use for years and possibly for decades.

I see FoxPro as being better suited to Desiree's problems than MS-Access is, but I see C# as matching her needs better than either Access or FoxPro.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    FoxPro isn't all that bad; but I dont think it's as easy to learn as other languages, such as VB.NET, for example.

And personally I've never encountered speed issues with the system I maintain; which has 10M+ records on an SS2K backend

Desi, I've reponded to your other thread if youve not noticed yet... Silly; storing the images in the database like that!

Ok will be happy to change that, just not sure how.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Foxpro is very comparable to Access in many ways, but I think that FoxPro has a more robust scripting language, a far more powerful object model, and because it can be compiled to an EXE I see it as more secure. If I was given a choice between MS-Access and FoxPro for Desiree, I'd pick FoxPro.

Given a "wide open" chance to start again from the ground up and being allowed to choose my tool of choice (instead of just choosing between Access and FoxPro), I'd pick C# over either of them. C# has a bigger learning curve so it will take more time to get up to speed, but that time is a one time shot moving to an environment that she'll probably be able to use for years and possibly for decades.

I see FoxPro as being better suited to Desiree's problems than MS-Access is, but I see C# as matching her needs better than either Access or FoxPro.

-PatP

Thank you Pat
    I'm wanting to take a programming class, and it would be to my benefit to take C#. It would be very beneficial

Microsoft announced the death of FoxPro a year ago. There won't be another version. For that reason now is not the time to start using it.

What development language? I expect MS would say "The answer is .NET. Now what's the question?"