Unanswered: exporting data from access to csv

I've created a bunch of tables with dates and other various values.
    I now need to export them to a csv format....BUT. I'd like to export the dates in a different format.
    eg) they are currently saved as mmddyyyy but I need them to look like mm/dd/yy. and there are some other formatting changes that I need to make.
    How can I go about doing this?
    Thx

Create a query and use an expression (ex: DateExpression: format(MyField,"mm/dd/yyyy"). Then export the query.

You can use expressions in queries to manipulate data to look like you want it to.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

queries

cool. i'll give that a try.
    thanks.

more meaningful column name

Hi there. i gave it a try and it seems to be working fine on screen. (how do i give the new formatted field a more useful name than EXPRxxxx?)

When I export it, the formatted date doesn't save. If I choose the "Save Format" option before I click on the export button, it creates a txt file which is not what I'm looking for. I even tried deselecting the "4 digit year" option that appears under the "advanced" button of the Export Text Wizard.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by chubbypama; 01-25-08 at 22:15.

To change the name from ExprXXXX: just replace ExprXXXX: to MyName: (put in whatever name you'd like as MyName before the colon).

For what you're trying to do, you should just be able to open the query, Click File -> Export and export to a *.csv file. You shouldn't get a "Save Format" unless you clicked the "Save Formatted" checkbox. Make sure you select Text File as the type. (not rich text format) and for a filename put something like MyFile.csv. In the wizard, select Delimated, and then comma separated (you shouldn't need to click the advanced button.) Again, leave the "Save Formatted" checkbox unchecked.

Keep in mind that if you are opening the *.csv with Excel, you may have to change the formatting of that column in Excel as Excel may be interpreting it. Try opening it with notepad or change the format of that column in excel.

You can also create an export specification. See the help on creating a specification. But you shouldn't need to do this for what you're doing unless you want to export the table instead of the query.

A *.csv file (comma separated value) is the same thing as a text file (a *.csv is the same as a *.txt just refered to as csv - most systems interpret opening *.csv files with excel as the default program). Opening with notepad shows the file without any interpretation which excel likes to do (especially on date type field values). The text values in the fields are usually surrounded with a " and the fields are separated by ,
    Last edited by pkstormy; 01-25-08 at 23:02.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Provided Answers: 59
    exporting to CSV from Access does have several longstanding bugs / problems associated with it, especially int he formatting area. one of which involves dates. I forget the range and type, but I found in a non US environment exporting to CSV could be such a pain, that these days I 'just' write a CSV file myself and avoid using the inbuilt export functions.