Unanswered: adding users to mySQL

Hi

I'm very much a beginner but keen to learn as much as I can about running a Linux based web server...so much so I'm renting my own VPS and trying to teach myself.

I now have mySQL running successfully and I'm trying to configure it in respect of users and databases...essentially populating the database called "mysql".

I came across this helpful article.

http://www.linuxhelp.net/guides/mysql/

However my question is ...is it really necessary to do all the mysqladmin commands......it just that other articles I've seen suggest don't mention it.

Basically I just wanted to be sure either way first in case I messed anything up.

Thanks very much.

I recommend that you have a look at the MySQL reference manual, section 5.5. Links to the manual: for MySQL 5.0 or MySQL 5.1.

If you haven't done it already; you should run the mysql_secure_installation script that is shipped with MySQL. It will somewhat secure the installation (set a password for root, remove the test database, remove anonymous users etc.).

When setting up new users, you really shouldn't start doing so manually (that is, manually inserting them into the grant tables). Use CREATE USER, GRANT and REVOKE instead.

And I agree with snorp; Be sure to read the reference manual.

Quote Originally Posted by by0nder
    If you haven't done it already; you should run the mysql_secure_installation script that is shipped with MySQL. It will somewhat secure the installation (set a password for root, remove the test database, remove anonymous users etc.).
    Good point!