Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Pick Basic Programmer

Hello all my name is Sam
    I have some database experience with access.
    I am fairly new to the Pick Basic world and have been given the task of auto populating some fileds that the user would normally type data into. These fields mainly are numbers refering to a menu item but several of them are dates that need to be calculated off the current date. I could not find a way to get the current date or perform the calculations. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by samiam44; 01-28-08 at 13:16. Reason: Didn't introduce myself properly

1. Check the JBase thread below, it'll give you a link to a great site.
    2. You probably need an F/Correlative for the Date Calculation. You create a dictionary item like so:

(do not type the stuff in italics, pressing Enter is implied with each new line below)
    ED DICT filename DATE.DIFF If a DATE.DIFF dictionary item already exists you should use a different name
    I This puts you into insert mode in the editor.
    A
    This should be the field # / attribute where the date you're comparing to is stored.
    After pressing Enter, press <Ctrl>+<Shift>+<6> 4 times, this should take you down to line 8 of the dictionary item, though you will not see that until later.

F;D;0;- F tells the system that you are using an F correlative, D is the current date, 0 should be replaced by the field number you are comparing to and the minus sign is used to subtract the stored date from the current date
    R Right justify the results
    4 Field length
    <Enter> The extra enter takes you out of insert mode
    F Flip takes you back to the top of the dictionary, needed to display the results
    L10 List 10 lines, that should be exactly how many you have at this point.

If a specific line is wrong you can replace it. Just type in the line number. Example:

3 Goes to line 3
    R Takes you into replace mode
    # Days New characters to put in line 3
    <Enter> Pressing enter takes you out of replace mode. You will now have to F(lip) and L10 again to see the changes
    FI Files the new dictionary to be used in statements

I hope that helps.

Some PICK systems have the verb SLAM set up to allow you to change multiple records with the same data to be inserted.

SELECT filename criteria
    SAVE-LIST listname
    GET-LIST listname
    SLAM

SLAM should prompt for filename, may or may not prompt for list name, then prompt for field number / attribute to be changed, then the data you wish to put in the field. Use with EXTREME caution, if at all.
    When it rains, it pours.

Thanks rockingred this looks like it will help me out with one exception. I want the system to populate the date. Let me explain a little more in detail.

What I need to do is when a user types in a form number the system will run a voc item and inside this voc is were the program I am writing will populate all the fields for them. The date field will auto populate with a date that is 2 weeks into the future from the current date they run the program. This is so they can pull a calendar that will have a schedule on it to tell them when their next court dates are. I am not even sure if this is possible or if it will require some hugh program but any help you can give to steer me in the right direction will be appreciated.

Thanks

If you have a screen that allows them to enter the date, then that screen is tied to code somewhere in a BASIC program library (BP). The name of the program library that is being used should be available for you. Somewhere near the top of the screen should be a "screen name", this name will have a relationship (one hopes) to the name of the related item in the program library. Then, within the BASIC program, when they click on the appropriate field and it's empty you can have it autofill with the current date. Usually by saying something like:

record<field#> = DATE()

Where record represents the previously read file data and field# represents the actual field number or attribute you wish to change.

Some programs use MATREAD instead of READ, in which case you would have to change record by typing something like:

record(field#) = DATE()

Seriously though, you probably need an existing programmer that has used the system before to help you at this stage.
    When it rains, it pours.

In case you want it this is a link to a Pick Language textbook (you'll need Adobe Acrobat to view it)

http://www.jes.com/pb/pbapg.pdf
    When it rains, it pours.

Thank You

Thanks again for your post it is a big help. I don't have much lititure on the pick language so I appreciate what you gave me.

Another resource you could use is the jBase site, you can pretty much ignore anythin in there that starts with "j" because those are specific to jBase. That said, their website "Knowledgebase" can still be a useful tool:

jBASE Knowledgebase

Beyond that, I find the "Pick Pocket Guide" to be one of the most usefull programming tools. It's well structured and has most verbs common to all Pick type systems. There is also a book called "EPICK (Encyclopedia Pick)", which I don't like as much because it's in Alphabetical order instead of grouped by usage.

For a list of Pick books see:

http://jes.com/picklist.html
    When it rains, it pours.

Lol. You must be attracting people to the forum rockingred. I don't remember a single pick question here in three years until you arrived.

Thanks

Thanks again for your help very well appriciated. I am working on a HP9000 system running uniVerse 11.0. I am not sure if this is compatible for our system.

Well, they may be typing in Pick at Google and then hitting my post so generating one of their own. Active forums are definitely better than empty ones, aren't they?

If you want to see a dead Pick forum, try http://www.pickjobs.net/forum/category-view.asp

They haven't put in a post I put in there in December as yet and if I try to e-mail the Admin it bounces back.
    When it rains, it pours.

Absolutely - not a complaint at all. I considered a job where I would have to do some pick - I am well aware, from that experience, that the internet is not exactly bulging with pick resources.

I'm happy you are posting keep up the good work. It took me a very long time to find some one with knowledge of Pick that I could ask a question and get an answer. You are a life saver. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by samiam44
    Thanks again for your help very well appriciated. I am working on a HP9000 system running uniVerse 11.0. I am not sure if this is compatible for our system.
    Some of the verbs / commands / options on the jBase site will work for you, some won't because they are jBase specific. Most of the commands found in the Pick Pocket Guide will work, it's very generic. Try them and you'll find out if they do or don't.

The jes.com site does offer some books specific to the uniVerse application.

Then there is alway's HP's own site:

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/...o?familyId=117
    When it rains, it pours.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Absolutely - not a complaint at all. I considered a job where I would have to do some pick - I am well aware, from that experience, that the internet is not exactly bulging with pick resources.
    That's true enough, and if you don't know what to search for it's even harder. Try Googling the word "pick" or even "pick programming" and the hits are usually not applicable. Thankfully I've had different Pick manuals and I know I can Google JES or JBase, which helps a lot. Also, if you're trying to find a manual / book over the net it's really hard to judge which are worth spending your money on.

The Pick Pocket Guide is useful if you know programming, it just provides the verbs and commands and their usages. However it's not a tutorial and will not give you full blown examples of usages.
    When it rains, it pours.

Another resource, of which I just became aware of today, is Google Groups. They have a forum for both Pick and jBase.
    When it rains, it pours.