Unanswered: XML Extender Q ...

In the documentation, I've seen a mention of XMLCLOBs and XMLVarchars. Does it mean, you cannot do an extract from a BLOB. The XML is being stored in a BLOB instead of a CLOB.

Also, Is there a quick documentation on the setup and extract procedure. I'm short on time. Found one in redbooks. Thats about 450 pages or so.

Thanks.

The XMLPARSE function accepts BLOBs. What exactly are you referring to with XMLCLOB/XMLVarchar?

Why do you still want to use the XML Extender, given that DB2 incorporates the XML functionality now in the engine with pureXML?
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

We sre not yet using v9. Its v8.1 fixpak 12. We are trying to extract an element from a BLOB column which has an XML document stored. I was thinking that we have to use the XML column method. The xml guide talks about storing the document in an XML UDT. Thats the reason I was talking about XMLCLOB/XMLVarchar. May be I didn't understand it right. Thanks.

Support for XML Extender will be dropped in a future DB2 release (maybe V10.1).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

I'm assuming that XML extender cannot be used to to extract an xml document stored in a BLOB field. Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.