Unanswered: Access Security AGAIN

Hi All,

I had a original problem with my DB, my security work group file was corrupted and therefore I was unable to open my DBs as I did not have the necessary permissions even though I am the administrator. I have since resolved the problem and can access all my DBs again (after 3 days of very long hard work). My problem now is that I am unable to implement security. I have tried to import all DBs into new DBs run security wizard again then I am asked to modify current workgroup and I still have permissions as administrator even though I cannot access that account. I have tried to set permissions for myself. Create a new administrator account. Removed 'admin' from 'admins', everything that I can think off. I need to implement security as I have numerous users and network access. Is there anyway that I reset the security file to its original way (and before anyone asks I didn't keep a back-up it was in my younger, naive and STUPID days) I do have the snapshoot printout if the workgroup if that helps.

Thanks a million again

One thing you can try to do is recreate your workgroup...

Restricting the user "Admin" is the typical way to create security. When a user signs into access they enter in to their own local System.mdw file as the default user "Admin" with no password.

Create a backup, incase the following is a bad idea. Sign in to your DB using your shortcut or your mdw file. Log in as the super-user, DB_admin, or whatever account you created that has the highest priveleges. Now go to Tools, Security, User group and permissions. Then lighten up the restrictions on the database in question. That is, give all permissions for all objects to the default user Admin. Now anybody can use the database.

At this point you can completely close out of access. Open Access afresh from the start menu, and if you are using your local Access system.mdw file, you will be signed in as 'Admin' - without a password. You should now be able to open your database because you just gave all permissions to the user 'Admin'. Now try creating your workgroup from scratch (I like using the Tools, Security, User Group Accounts and then Tools, Security, User Group Permissions, but use the wizard if it helps).

There are problably some good things on MSDN. I haven't looked for a while.
    Hope this is a good starting point for you.
    John
    This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Hi John,

Thanks for that unfortunately I tried all that it is still not working! I really think it is something very simple with the system.mdw file. I can log into any other computer on the network and use my dbs as normal (obviously security is not implemented locally on these pc's thankfully!). I have thought about creating a workgroup file on one of these pc's and copying it over to mine, what do you think?

Thanks for all your help
    Aine

I have a couple of questions.

When a user from another PC logs on to the db, are they using a shortcut? Or do other users log on with their own system MDW file?(c:\windows\system\system.mdw or look in C:\Documents and Settings\username...)

If they are using a shortcut, does it include the mdw file?
    Below is an example of the target from a possible DB...

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" /wrkgrp "\\NetworkA\SharedFolder\MyProject\MyOwnSecurity.M DW" "\\NetworkA\SharedFolder\MyProject\MyDB.mdb"

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The entire network went down today in work, techno woes! I have tested on other machines and it would be the default workgroup that it would be starting up, I have not tried to start the wizard on another machine though so I am unsure if that would work as I am the 'owner' of the db. The machine that the dbs are stored on my machine which is a 'terminal' machine so to say. I have not made the shortcut yet as only my machine was in use for data entry (very small department) but shortly I will have multiple users and I have adapted Allen Brown's audit code so I will need the logged in user for this track changes.

Again thank you so much for all your help. I have 'inherited' the DBA role and am working on inherited dbs which is nightmarish!

Aine