Unanswered: SQL 2000 Cluster Memory Settings

I have an Active/Active/Passive cluster with 64GB RAM on each node running SQL 2000 EE, AWE is enabled as well as the PAE switch, all is dandy with that.

Question:
    Should I configure each SQL Instance to have only a max mem usage of 32GB in the event both failover to the same node ? or will the memory allocation be handled without any issue if each node is configured to use 64GB ?

Thanks.

The nodes resources are independent of each other. You should use the 32GB limit to allocate memory for all instances (total of all instances = 32GB ... not 32GB max for each instance), just in case you should have to put them all on a single node of the cluster.

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Each node has 64GB of RAM and 2 instances of SQL are running on the cluster, so I gave each SQL instance 32GB which would be fine in the event they both failed to the same node (3 node A/A/P cluster), true ? The only time both instances would be on the same node is if both Active nodes failed, thus both failing over to the passive node.

thanks.
    Last edited by PMASchmed; 02-04-08 at 10:28.

My concern (slim though it may be) would be all instances residing on one node competing for 128 GB of memory when only 64 GB is available.

Obvoiusly this scenario, if it occurred, could be corrected by using the DAC to reconfigure memory for each instance, because the single node's response would be abysmal at best.

I firmly believe that Murphy was an optimist and plan accordingly.

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --