Provided Answers: 6

Unanswered: how do you build an enterprise database solution?

Hi, I am noob, so excuse me if this is a stupid question, but I just bought a Learn HTML in 3 Hours book and a learn SQL in 10 minutes book and I was wondering how I would start to go about to build a super flexible enterprise wide web based database application, that is so flexible the users can put in any old crap in the front end and make up new fields as they go. Another one of my requirements is that it perform super fast and be distributed securely across my international multi billion dollar a year company.

So like I know Excel and a little VBA and I know how to use the query builder in Access and I landed this big old contract to revamp this old comapny's infrastructure. Should be pretty easy, right? Everyone is doing it.

So can you guys like help me out for free and stuff?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 54
    You are on the right track, but aren't yet in a fully receptive state. You need a few bennies, and large quantities of mocha. I recommend at least five shots of espresso per liter to get started.

Try to read those books and build the application again once you are in a properly receptive state. It should be much more straightforward at that point.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 11
    Sure, I can give you some free advice. The first thing you will want is an example of a widely distributed enterprisey web application. The company Monster.com has just such an application that all sorts of enterprises use. Go ahead, open a browser, and go to www.Monster.com, and have a look.
    To get the feel of user input, you should click on the textbox labeled "Keywords". (If you have not heard the term before, textboxes should be covered in one of the chapters in your HTML book. Probably about the 45 minute mark or so). Type in the words "Burger Flipper" in this textbox, and click the "Find Jobs" button (buttons are covered at about 30 minutes into the book).
    You should now see a wide array of job listings for low skilled job applicants. Some of them may even be in your area! Now we get to a harsh truth of the interwebs, called the Jagger Principal*. Briefly, it deals with the typical inaccuracy of data on the web. As an exercise in measuring the Jagger Principle's effect, you should investigate each of these job opportunities listed to see how accurate the listings are. Applying for, and obtaining some of these jobs would put you in the best position to measure the exact effect of the Jagger Principle. Keep us posted on how you get along with your learning adventure. ;-)

* You can't always get what you want.

HEY

That's my gig

You're best bet is to get a bevvy os sql babes, have them do the work and take a percentage....
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    So like I know Excel and a little VBA and I know how to use the query builder in Access and I landed this big old contract to revamp this old comapny's infrastructure. Should be pretty easy, right? Everyone is doing it.

So can you guys like help me out for free and stuff?
    Well, you don't REALLY know anything until you have watched Kalman Toth's CDs.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com