Question Unanswered: exporting the results of an sql statement to excel

I'd like to export the results of a query I'm running using VBA to an excel file. I know how to export an entire table but I'm not entirely sure how to export just the results of the sql statment. Here's the code I'd use for the entire table:

Code:
        DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "tblMain", "c:\test.xls", True
    and that works just fine but I'd like to do two things: First, export the results of an sql statment dynamically generated. My code for that looks something like this:

Code:
        Dim db As Database
        Dim rs As Recordset
        Set db = DBEngine(0)(0)
        Dim strSQL As String
        strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblMain " _
            & "WHERE CaseNum = '" & Me.txtCaseNum & "';"

' ---not sure what to put here... db.execute or db.openrecordset or what

DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, --not sure what to put here either--, "c:\test1.xls", True
    And second, pretty-up the spreadsheet by expanding the columns to fit the data and by bolding the header row and such. Your help would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks!

Check out the code bank and look at the exporting to excel entry. This covers all this and more

HTH

is that the excel automation files?

Got it... I'm trying it now... I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

OK... ran into a bit of a problem... I think the issue I'm facing is regarding that note in your code re reference to 2003 library. I imported your code and I get the error "User defined type not defined" on "exApp As Excel.Application" when I run it. I assume I need to go to Tools : References and add some library but I know nothing about the libraries... what am I looking for? Is that even where I should look? Thanks for your help!

One more question... if I add "Microsoft Excel 12.0 Library" what will that mean if I run my app from a computer with an earlier version of office? Thanks for all your help!

read "Late Binding" further down in the 'Bank.
    late binding to Excel doesn't need a reference set.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2