Question Unanswered: DB2 v8.1 FIXPACK 8 - Urgent

I am currently running DB2 v8.1.3 on AIX 5.3.
    Based on what I read so far, in order to get HADR feature I have to be at least 8.2 level.
    I know that all fixpacks are cumulatives and DB2 v8.1 fixpack 8 will put me on that level. I have a business requirement to implement HA/DR so so have couple questions regarding this fixpack:
    1) What is the website that I can download this fixpak? I have seen so many places (IBM) that I am confused now.
    2) Like the other fixpacks that I installed so far, this one will be very straight forward like the others to install ? I mean stop DB2, stop admin (das) stop license, run install and after that db2iupdt and restart db2? I had a problem with my instance and some databases when I tried to apply fixpack 4, it damaged some of my databases.
    3) If this install (fixpack) is successful I will be at 8.2 right? This will install (incorporate) HADR feature? My DB2 will be 8.2 right?

I need to know this before I touch my instance to download/install that fixpack.
    Thanks

1 ) IBM Website
    3) check with db2level

db2 get db cfg for dbanme is how like this

HADR database role = STANDARD
    HADR local host name (HADR_LOCAL_HOST) =
    HADR local service name (HADR_LOCAL_SVC) =
    HADR remote host name (HADR_REMOTE_HOST) =
    HADR remote service name (HADR_REMOTE_SVC) =
    HADR instance name of remote server (HADR_REMOTE_INST) =
    HADR timeout value (HADR_TIMEOUT) = 120
    HADR log write synchronization mode (HADR_SYNCMODE) = NEARSYNC

I am still confused about which FP should I download and install in order to have 8.2 version. If I go to IBM web site http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...wg21256046#r8a I can see for example fp 8 and fp 8a ...shoud I install the alternative or the regular?
    Thanks

As you can see at the website you reference, you can't download FP8 for the DB2 server. FP8a superseeds it and, therefore, FP8 was removed from the IBM support site.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

You would be insane to install 8.1 fixpack 8 or 8a. You should install the latest fixpack which is now fp 16. Since fixpack 16 just came out, you could install fp 15 if you are really paranoid. At an absolute minimum, I would use FP10 if you want to use HADR becasue there are a lot bugs before that. But there is no reason to stay below fp 15 or 16.

In order to get HADR to work without an additional license, you need ESE. If you have Workgroup Edition, or Express, then HADR requires a separate license and fee.

The fp installation instructions for 8.2 fixpacks are very similar to earlier fixpacks. But read the instructions.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

DB2 v8.1 FIXPAK 8

Marcus A.

Thanks for your reply. We have license for ESE so what I read so far I could use Partition (contained in the same server) and HADR.

I will download FP10 (or 11 since it is a requirement for Informatica Power Exchange we are planning to use).

Thanks again.

As Marcus said, is there any particular reason to use such a back-level FP and not go for FP15 or FP16?
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

I would check with Informatica and ask them if they will support DB2 V8 FP 15 or 16 (8.2.8 or 8.2.9). Sometimes when a vendor says Fixpack xx they mean a higher fixpack is acceptable (so long as you don’t got to V9).

If by "partition" you mean a different LPAR on the same machine, then DB2 will have to be licensed on each LPAR. However, if your HADR LPAR is only used for HADR standby databases (as many standby databases as you want) then you only need one CPU license on the HADR standby LPAR.

If you are using another instance on the same server as your HADR standby (same server or LPAR that contains the HADR primary) then no extra DB2 license is required.

However, HADR works best when on different servers and everything is absolutely identical on the primary and standby server (including mount points and tablespace container paths/file names). Otherwise you will not be able to issue all SQL DDL commands on the primary and have them execute on the standby (such as creating a tablespace or increasing the container sizes of a tablespace). This is difficult to do (impossible ???) if both the primary and standby are on the same logical server.
    M. A. Feldman

Marcus and Stolze,
    There is no particular reason to use FP11 or FP10. The real deal is we are upgrading ( I know it is a shame...sorry) from a very old 7.1.0 to 8 and above. I am the only DB2 DBA (but I also handle 2 Oracle DB's and one Sybase) and the company passed thru some merging processes and someone on the top left most our licenses expire or left old versions. With a new CIO now we are trying to catch up on all platforms. Oracle is at 9i (most of instances) one in 10G and some 8i.
    So I have projects to upgrade all our DB2 to 8 and above.
    Marcus you are saying that if I want to use HADR between 2o different servers (that's what we do now with dprop) I would have to have a separate license for that?
    I have a server now (new and powerful one) that will be our first to move to AIX 5.3 and new DB2 8. I have 2 databases already converted at 8.1.3. But I'd like to put at least 8.2. For this first stage of migration we would liek to use db2 v7 clients that all users already have. It works ok with v8.1.3. It would work with 8.2.2 ?
    Thanks

Provided Answers: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarzullo
    Marcus and Stolze,
    Marcus you are saying that if I want to use HADR between 2o different servers (that's what we do now with dprop) I would have to have a separate license for that?

This is for V8 and I think for 9.1:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db...ikopoulos.html

This is for V9.5:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db...AGX11&S_CMP=LP

Andy

I have a server now (new and powerful one) that will be our first to move to AIX 5.3 and new DB2 8. I have 2 databases already converted at 8.1.3. But I'd like to put at least 8.2. For this first stage of migration we would liek to use db2 v7 clients that all users already have. It works ok with v8.1.3. It would work with 8.2.2 ?
    Thanks
    If you have 8.1.3, you can upgrade straight to 8.2.8 (FP 15) or 8.2.9 (FP 16). I would recommend that you upgrade to either FP 15 or FP 16.
    M. A. Feldman

If you run HADR with DB2 ESE (CPU licensing) on 2 different servers (one for primary and one for standby, you need the following licenses:

Primary HADR server - One DB2 ESE CPU license for each CPU (Intel/AMD dual core CPU's only count as one CPU, for PowerPC dual core, check with IBM).

Standby HADR Server - One DB2 ESE CPU license regardless of the number of CPU's on the machine.

Note: The above assumes that the only DB2 activity on the Standby HADR server is for one or more standby HADR databases. If you are using DB2 on the same server for an "active" database, you will need to license each CPU. If you failover to the standby for a short time, while there is an outage on the primary or while doing maintenance on the primary, then that is OK without fully licensing the standby.
    M. A. Feldman